Increasing Gas Stove Top Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandito

Reaction score
I have a kitchen stove that runs off gas bottles, but it takes ages to get to boil. There is a regulator at the gas bottles (90kg ones I think), so can I tweak that to increase the pressure to I can boil my wort and spuds faster?

I currently take about 2 hours to achieve a rolling boil of 30L of wort. heres a pic of dinner pots with the gas on full.

stovetop.jpg

I tried adjusting the reg tonight. The main reg had a sign on it saying 'only to be serviced by a qualified technician. So I used a big spanner to remove that, then used a large allen key to turn it up. I didnt do much if anything.

Then I got to work on the secondary regulator. The only adjustment on this was a screw on the side - BIG MISTAKE ADJUSTING THAT! Gas started leaking from that screw and I couldnt stop it.

How much is that going to cost to get fixed?!?

There goes tonights mash - lucky I hadnt done anything other than heating up the strike water.

Anyone know what I have done? and how to fix it? or I will just call my gas supplier and get them for the number of a plumber they know to fix it (and put in a higher pressure version)

Don't know what you have done there, hopefully it will not be too expensive.

Get yourself a 50L pot and a decent burner and you will never look back.

QldKev

Gas stove tops are not adjustable. The only means to get more gas through it is to fit larger jets to the burners and fit a higher pressure regulator.

Certainly NOT RECOMMENDED.........not safe to do indoors unless you want ti risk burning your house down.
Stove tops are not rated to run with bigger jets.............dont be crazy.
If you want to heat your wort safely buy the correct outdoor burner.

And yes, it sounds like you have stuffed your regulator.

Something I've been looking into the past few days is the burners we get at HBS, because I'd love to be able to do a full volume boil. I really wouldn't want to be messing with any gas/regs for the general house usage. Burners are only like 150 bucks complete, small price to pay really

Either a burner or if you want to brew inside - a good immersion element or too would be better than destroying your stove.

I used to boil on my electric stove then moved to a wood fired weber. I allocated some of my last tax return and bought myself a four ring burner - brew days are a lot easier now. Just got to keep an eye on the gas levels. Having an immersion element is a good back up in this case

Sandwiches for you for a couple of days.

By the way
how to fix it? or I will just call my gas supplier and get them for the number of a plumber they know to fix it (and put in a higher pressure version)

I would suggest if you don't know what you are doing, that you take the second option. Leaking gas is not fun

I tried adjusting the reg tonight. The main reg had a sign on it saying 'only to be serviced by a qualified technician. So I used a big spanner to remove that, then used a large allen key to turn it up. I didnt do much if anything.

Then I got to work on the secondary regulator. The only adjustment on this was a screw on the side - BIG MISTAKE ADJUSTING THAT! Gas started leaking from that screw and I couldnt stop it.

How much is that going to cost to get fixed?!?

There goes tonights mash - lucky I hadnt done anything other than heating up the strike water.

Anyone know what I have done? and how to fix it? or I will just call my gas supplier and get them for the number of a plumber they know to fix it (and put in a higher pressure version)

Can't believe you did that, you have loved ones living in that house??

Screwy

hope your hot water is not gas...................... cold showers all round......

Can't believe you did that, you have loved ones living in that house??
Screwy

No its just me. Anyone have a working time machine to go back and tell me not to do it?

Alwell, I knew there was a chance it would happen. My fault. I just hope that it lives on to warn others not to be a bandit.

Electric hot water.

And electric oven - so I can cook the lamb leg for dinner tonight. Foil wrapped spuds, and roasted carrots FTW!

About to start anothe f'd up thread - stay tuned.

Bandito said:
Anyone have a working time machine to go back and tell me not to do it?

Bandito said:
The main reg had a sign on it saying 'only to be serviced by a qualified technician. So I used a big spanner to remove that

Would you like a time machine or a functioning set of eyes?

You need one of these bad boys:

Portable Immersion Heater

You need a deep pot/keggle to use them but probably would work out cheaper than buying a burner, reg and gas bottle. Or fiddling with your stove again.
Also believe there's a bulk buy :ph34r: on smaller ones in the bulk buy section here: Bulk Buy Immersion Elements

Personally I have a burner, but I'm outside in a shed. Immersions would be safer for indoor brewing. And I dare say if you were really impatient you could double up and do it on the stove and immersion heat at the same time (just saying - never tried it though - so don't sue me if it goes wrong!).

Hopper.

Dont know what I was thinking! I got stuck into my first keg and didnt realise how easy it is to drink really fast and loose track. Dont remember going to bed, but woke up at 130am and had some of the roast that was in the oven - lucky its on a timer and cuts out when time is up. Glad I didnt get to do a mash :unsure:

Dont most consumer stovetops have an inbuilt regulator of their own anyway? (atleast i think my parents new one does. They have a wok burner, i dont know if that would make a difference).

changing the pressure at the gas bottle probably wont do anything anyway if its running 2 stage setup as the second reg will just drop it down to its set pressure at the appliance or however its set up.
now you going to need to get someone who knows what they're doing with a manometer to get the pressure to what it was first set at (probably 2.75kPa on the second reg).
you shouldnt really muck around with lpg, especially in your house as its heavier that air and wont just disperse like natural gas.
i reckon you're up for a $150 call out, unless you've actually broken it.....
maybe you should have paid attention to the sign above the reg :blink:

cheers,

stewart

Dont most consumer stovetops have an inbuilt regulator of their own anyway? (atleast i think my parents new one does. They have a wok burner, i dont know if that would make a difference).

I think this is the "secondary" regulator he is talking about above? That's all I could work out anyway.

you definatley need a gasfitter, and it will cost you more than $150. there is a reason regulators are in place to a houshold appliance. it wouldn't have cost you $150 bucks to get a burner and regulator from one of the sponsors.

natural gas stovetops have a regulator on them because they run at 1.0kPa and natural gas comes out of the meter at 2.75kPa (in ACT)
LPG stoves run at 2.75kPa and can have the regulator at the cylinders or if there is a long run of pipe between the cylinders and appliance its done in 2 stages to reduce the size of pipe required as higher pressure means higher mj/h through.
i think you should be able to get it sorted for $150, thats what we charge anyway unless you've totally f'ed it up.

Back