Imperial Stout Drama

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdrake

Reaction score
Hopheads...Please, I need advice..Was at work all day dreaming of sampling my wonderful (surely to be) Imperial stout lovingly crafted with Black & Choc malts and has been bottle conditioing for 3 weeks..Opened it up and it is flat as a tack.....I only used one Carb drop in a tally - Thinking that a stout should be less effervescent than your avg brews..Mistake methinks..

Heres what I was thinking of doing.....Opening them all up, dropping another carb drop in and maturing for another 2 weeks.....Is this Kosher? Will this work or has it gone along too long...

Appreciate your help....Bro in law in town soon who is a keen brewer and obviosuly, cannot let the bastards beers beat mine...So need a solution.....I'll owe you one....

Hey alecart,

Did you use an ale yeast during fermentation? With the cold weather, the beer may need longer to finish the bottle conditioning. Maybe grab a couple of bottles and keep them warm for a few days and see how they go after that.

Good luck.

How strong did your stout end up? If the alcohol is up high, the yeast might need a couple of months to do the job properly, especially in the colder weather, as already mentioned. Depending on how big your stout is, you may need to leave it in the bottle a bit longer before it smooths out. I left mine for about three or four months before I tried it. from what I understand, imperial stout is abeer you need to be patient with and come back to in a few months

Cheers

Dave

Edit: You were right to only use one carb drop, most stong beers have some residual sugars that the yeast will slowly chew through over the following months, I'd strongly advise against adding more carb drops, it'll most likely end up too carbed for a stout

Cheers men

Will move the bottles into my bed to ensure a perfect temp and restore the fizz to my whizz.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers men

Will move the bottles into my bed to ensure a perfect temp and restore the fizz to my whizz.

Thanks for the advice.

That's dedication, right there! :D

Latest posts

Back