Immersion Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdelaideHillsBrewer

Reaction score
Hi, planing on knocking up a Immersion chiller this weekend. Any tips or tricks I should include? Yeah I have watched all the youtube video's and read lots of crap, but I think you guys will know more then any of that. And to the fellow Adelaide brewers, where is a good place to buy the copper coil ( cheap ) if there is such a thing anymore? Any thoughts would be great.

Hi, planing on knocking up a Immersion chiller this weekend. Any tips or tricks I should include? Yeah I have watched all the youtube video's and read lots of crap, but I think you guys will know more then any of that. And to the fellow Adelaide brewers, where is a good place to buy the copper coil ( cheap ) if there is such a thing anymore? Any thoughts would be great.
I made one once but it was only slightly cheaper than a plate chiller. I have a plate chiller now and I bought a $30 emersion pump from the green shed to use in an ice bath. Anyway I think I rolled mine around a Keg to get it coiled.

It's actually a lot easier to coil than you think (as long as its annealed copper)

A lot of people suggest using pipe benders etc but as long as you are gentle and patient it should go pretty smoothly.

I wrapped mine around a big paint tin and it turned out ok.

jt87c7.jpg

I later widened the gap between the coils to improve conduction

they sell for about $ 150, how much did you save doing it yourself Gar?,

BTW that a hellava big back yard you have,

they sell for about $ 150, how much did you save doing it yourself Gar?,

BTW that a hellava big back yard you have,

I think I paid around $100 for enough copper to make two, I was going to make another and sell it on ebay but you know how that always goes :p

Hose & fittings was about $6

Bunnings, $99
30m
12.7mm copper pipe
wrapped around a corny...perfect :)

So you guys think its worth soldering fittings to the end eg water in/out or just use pvc pipe and worm drive clamps? And if soldering hose fittings are the way to go, what is the neatest way to do this? I think i might use 1/2 inch but could go 3/8 if its better for some reason. I keep reading immersion chillers don't work all that well and use heaps of water, is this true? Are plate chillers any good just working under gravity? I thought this little job would be easy, but as all ways with brewing there are so many ways to skin a cat! :blink:

I plate chill. Wort comes out of the plate chiller at 25 degrees if I do it slow enough, water passing through goes straight into my HLT and Mashtun for my cleaning routine, so no water is wasted down the drain.

Pitch the yeast and start drinking. Heavily.

Might cost a couple of bucks more, but you cant put a price on your time.

I just used worm drive clamps on standard garden hose for mine, I used two on each end but I was probably just being paranoid :unsure:

why use fitting when you flare the end of the pipe you shouldn't get any leaks..

Large pin and a hammer will flare it for you guys.

Back