immersion heater to help 40L urn + 20L pot for hot water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
hi all,
I've just got myself a buffalo 40L urn (did the 2 mods for the rolling boil) and am thinking my old trusty 20L pot can become a hot water source for the sparge and topping up the urn (about to do my first BIAB).

looking around there's a cheap immersion element here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-Hot-Water-Heater-Immersion-Element-2500W-stainless-steel-DT345-/310405776142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4845a0430e&_uhb=1

and a digital probe thermostat plug here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Probe-Thermostat-Temperature-Control-for-Aquarium-Greenhouse-Fridge-/151170649046?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item2332790bd6&_uhb=1

my thinking was: use the immersion element to get my water temp up quickly in the urn, and then swap it over to the 20L pot with the probe to heat sparge water/top up for BIAB.

does this sound reasonable and should I consider any other products (are the ones linked too cheap?)

cheers.

I "sparge" with about 2 litres of water in my BIAB setup up, I can't think why you would need that much extra water

I do a mash out in my urn, but I do my volumes based on simply using boiling water to save the trouble of getting a more precise temperature. I use a 15 lire pot on my kitchen stove and typically use 10L boiling water.

Those cheap elements are very, very bad. Plenty stories on here about people having live , tingly pots. I had one years ago and the element appeared to go ok, until I manually earthed my pot and the safety switch tripped. I cut the cord off and chucked it.

Unfortunately a good immersion element is not chap - however should last a while.

thanks for the feedback, I thought they may be a little too cheap and scary.

Big W have 1.7ltr cordless jugs for $7.50 - yes - $7.50! It may be an easier option, I may just insulate the 20L and put a couple of boils (or buy 2) worth in it for the 'sparge' and not bother about the booster idea for the urn.

Latest posts

Back