Illeagal Biab In South Aus Prison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
"Prisoners in a South Australian jail have been using fermented fruit pulp to mix up a potent and illegal home brew...." :super:

Link

They haven't really followed the BIAB process exactly to the letter.

Bread, Fruit, table Sugar, 12%!!! :blink:

I'm guessing they've used some sort of bakers yeast?

"Prisoners in a South Australian jail have been using fermented fruit pulp to mix up a potent and illegal home brew...." :super:

Link

They haven't really followed the BIAB process exactly to the letter.

Bread, Fruit, table Sugar, 12%!!! :blink:

I'm guessing they've used some sort of bakers yeast?

Full instructions here.

one of the blokes I used to work for was arittered prison gard and he was telling me thay used to use vegmite as yeast sub

Ahhh good old prison hooch! There is some manky stuff out there!

Maybe wild yeast would form provided you don't pasteurise/heat the fruit up. Or perhaps the bread has some yeast residue and that's the reason they throw that in?

There was a thread on here last year about making your own prison hooch drink. It sounded damn 'orrid.

Have also heard a rumour that vegemite is used in prisons for fermenting - it's partly made yeast extract that's taken from commercial breweries afterall: Vegemite Made from Autolysed yeast cells from CUB

Not sure about whether vegemite would have anything active left in it after being processed and being autolysed. It would make any brew taste ungodly you'd think.

Any vegemite brewers out there? :lol:

Hopper.

Edit - Spoonta and some others beat me to it! Sorry for the double up on some info! Left on because the wiki link is interesting.

My brother claims that a few of his mates in jail used to make a similar concoction of jam, cordial, honey, fruit juice, and fruits and bread (what ever was available). Chuck it all in a 500ml bottle (or whatever is available), pin hole in the lid, then stashed away or smuggled out into the garden to be buried for about a week.
Mmm mmm....feet anyone?

Considering that heat kills yeast, the sock itself would prove more instrumental to the supply of living yeast then the bread. I'd say the bread simply adds more carbohydrates to convert to alcohol.

That link is the funniest thing I have read on the internet for a long time. :lol: :lol: :lol: A late entry into my "Top Page for 2009"

Regarding Red Prison Wine

Anthony: "I would drink this in prison."

Steve: "I would drink this in high school!"

I recall on craftbrewer radio years ago they discussed prison hooch. There was one fine example of using yeast from the tampon of a female prisoner to ferment with. Imagine what that beer smelt like!

There was one fine example of using yeast from the tampon of a female prisoner to ferment with.

That is the sicket thing i have ever heard. :icon_vomit:

Even worse than the story of a girl at my high school that apparantly used to stash her used "sanitary wares" under her bed in a shoebox for 'safe keeping'. :blink:

That is the sicket thing i have ever heard. :icon_vomit:

Even worse than the story of a girl at my high school that apparantly used to stash her used "sanitary wares" under her bed in a shoebox for 'safe keeping'. :blink:

OMG

:icon_offtopic:

really f**king :icon_offtopic:

You are demoted to 1 star

I sense this thread is spiralling towards heavy moderation.

But, isn't (wasn't) there an African beer that utilised yeast/bugs from human spit?

I sense this thread is spiralling towards heavy moderation.

But, isn't (wasn't) there an African beer that utilised yeast/bugs from human spit?
I thought it was the enzymes in the spit were used to break down starches?

I recall on craftbrewer radio years ago they discussed prison hooch. There was one fine example of using yeast from the tampon of a female prisoner to ferment with. Imagine what that beer smelt like!

Lambic ??

Tampax Suprise :chug:

QldKev

Back