Ikea Keg Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also reckon it would look cool. But most digital scales wouldn't work like that would they? Like they wouldn't be always on, and they set themselves to zero when first turned on? I know the commercial ones can be always on and give a serial output but they're probably too big and expensive.

All the digital bathroom scales I had were no good for this purpose. They either wouldn't trigger, or would continually re-tare, or would not pickup the gradual change and would turn off, etc.

Well your over filling your kegs.

Last night i was filtering into a keg and left it too long, turned my back and some beer started coming out of the open PRV. Meaning that it's full to the absolute brim.

Are there any issues filling it this much? Can this cause any problems?

I hooked it up to the gas and it's all fine... no beer went up the gas line. Not that it matters, as i have a 6 way manifold with non-return valves on each line and another direct before the reg.

I've done it many times before, Argon, no issues.

Still, nowadays I stop just before it hits the top of the gas in, I reckon a little head space just helps with carbonation and also keeps the gas lines clean.
I got NRVs on ech keg as well, but there is still that bit of line in between and I prefer to increase the chance to keep that and the valves themselves beer free.

Last night i was filtering into a keg and left it too long, turned my back and some beer started coming out of the open PRV. Meaning that it's full to the absolute brim.

Are there any issues filling it this much? Can this cause any problems?

I hooked it up to the gas and it's all fine... no beer went up the gas line. Not that it matters, as i have a 6 way manifold with non-return valves on each line and another direct before the reg.

I've found it slower to carb when I've overfilled like this in the past... nothing a few flat pints didn't fix tho ;)

Heh, I have exactly the same setup, NRV heading to 6 way manifold with built in NRVs

Guessing when doing a keg to keg transfer from a 19L to a 9L there's no harm in filling the 9L up completely then? I mean the beer is already carbed.

In practice I've found the beer stops transferring itself before it gets full. Possibly when the gas dip tube hits liquid.

Back