If There Was Only One ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelcocks

Reaction score
Hi guys

Disclaimer .. No I am not preaching the Mayan calendar or end of the world ... Just some thoughts...

Imagine that on dec 21 the world does go dark and you are only left with one choice for all things brewing related ...

You can save only one in each category ...What would be your choice of:

Yeast strain ?
Base Grain ?
Specialty grain ?
Hop ?
One more ingredient of your choice ( golden syrup, came sugar, dextrose, etc) doesn't need to be a sugar .. Could be peaches if you like ...
Assume that water supply is good.
A few words to explain your choices

And maybe related or maybe not to the above . What would be the one style of beer ( or bjcp category) or brand of commercial beer that (if you had to save the bottle shop from destruction...)

Crikey this reads like a uni project :) maybe it should be ? :)

Pale ale malt, Crystal 55, US05, cascade hops and white sugar.

With the pale malt you can kiln your own specs in a crude way, to add complexity. The white sugar can be caramelised.

If you where choosing a commercial beer, it would have to be Epic Hop Zombie because it will be zombies coming on that faithful date late in december.
Adz. :p

WY 1272 - great all round yeast, works well for many styles.

Golden Promise - such a good all-rounder, very versatile.

Caramunich 2 - Just love the flavour and colour this adds can be used in varied quantities for different styles.

Styrian Goldings - Has many great attributes depending how it is used.

Belgian Dark No:2 Candy syrup - Again depending how much is used can have a big/small impact on overall flavour and colour.

The one style i would save from the bottle shop....hmm some kind of saison

For the commercial beer, my first instinct was to say something like LCPA but all of the nice PA's have a certain funk that would wear me down if I had to drink it every day SN, S&W, LC, Alpha etc. Maybe something like Angry Man I could face over and over. Actually, Coopers Stout would be fine by me too, I seem to be able to drink any amount of that.

Light Munich base malt
Light or Medium Crystal
Cascade Hops
US yeast other than US05 etc. maybe Danny's Favourite 50.
Yeast Nutrient.

You really need no other ingredients to make a top beer, except water, of course, and a little bit of sugar for carbonation. However, carbonation could also be achieved by kraeusening if the sugar is not allowed.

Base malt: GP
Specialty Grain: Med Crystal
Hop: Cascade
Yeast: Something fairly neutral, maybe US05 or Pacman or something
Extra ingredient: Munich malt - is that allowed?

Commercial beer I'd save? Some sort of IPA I'd say. May as well go out with my tastebuds destroyed.

WY 1272 - great all round yeast, works well for many styles.

Golden Promise - such a good all-rounder, very versatile.

Caramunich 2 - Just love the flavour and colour this adds can be used in varied quantities for different styles.

Styrian Goldings - Has many great attributes depending how it is used.

Belgian Dark No:2 Candy syrup - Again depending how much is used can have a big/small impact on overall flavour and colour.

The one style i would save from the bottle shop....hmm some kind of saison

jyo? Is that you? If not, you have a twin...

Myself:

MO
Dark Crystal
Centennial
US05

Such a simple man....

jyo? Is that you? If not, you have a twin...

Myself:

MO
Dark Crystal
Centennial
US05

Such a simple man....

Nope, but funny you say that, we may have had things such as this in common before if my memory serves me correct?

Becky Cole.......................I'd work on reconverting her.................(Yes I did read the original post)

Us-05
Domestic pilsner malt
Medium xtal
Centennial
Gelatine

brewing related???? that would be my last choice...

id grab the closest one of these

(Warning: semi NSFW)

frveq.jpg

The lamp or the tea cup?

Jenna Jameson. Why risk it, just grab one that you know is pure filth.

PS. Couldn't find a picture that would not get me banned.

PPS. Weyermann Vienna is nice.

Edit: Sorry, I seem to have mistaken this thread for "If I was stranded on a dessert island...:

Yeast strain: wyeast 2306
Base Grain: Pilsen malt (best malz)
Specialty grain: caravienne
Hop: tettnang!!

Nothing really versatile here except for the pislner malt (extreemly versatile) i guess. I think you can see what my taste in beer is!!

Back