Ideas For A Matilda Bay Redback Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildschwein

Reaction score
Greetings Brewers,

Just wanted to see if anyone out there knows of the general composition of Matilda Bay's origianl Redback wheat beer. I'm thinking about brewing something like this, amongst other brews, in the next few months (in between writing my dissertation for uni). Though, I haven't drank a Redback in recent years I seem to remember that it has quite a thick mouth feel to it which makes me think that it contains some maltodextrin. Also there is a distinct corn-like, or perhaps rice malt aroma to it, which I guess may eminate from the wheat malt itself, but I'm not too sure. Head retention seemed okay but not ultra-long lasting. These features, however, seem to make this particular wheat beer a little different to the slighty sour, yeasty and friuty tasting Southern German wheat beers that I've tried and read about.

I'm thinking of using a Thomas Cooper's wheat beer kit as the starter with some other additions. I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has any ideas about what additions may get me close to the Redback style. Although, I'm not chasing the perfect clone.

Matilda Bay has some info on their site about Redback's composition which I just found. Any other ideas may be helpful though.

See http://www.matildabay.com.au/ourcraft/brew...es_redback.html

Prost!!!!

Coopers Brewmaster wheat can as the base, can of liquid wheat malt extract, neutral yeast like US-05 (56), I'm not a fan of K-97. Could go some hallertau or saaz hops (15-20g as aroma). Should get you in the ballpark. Will be fairly light at that so you swap out the liquid wheat malt and go for a kilo of dry if you want a bit more punch.

Redback's a very neutral easy drinking sort of beer and I think things like Coopers BE2, corn sugar or maltodextrin are just going to complicate it and not give the desired result.

My 2c.

try this

1 x beermakers bavarian wheat beer
brewcraft #10 brew enhancer
10g saaz hops pellets and
safwheat yeast.

make up to 22L. OG 1044, FG 1011,

Have you tried a Coopers Pale tin with a tin of wheat malt and some Saaz boiled for 10 min.

Prob better with a liquid wheat yeast culture.

Quite a drinkable beer to replicate.

Seth :p

try this

safwheat yeast.

Sorry to ask a noob question, but do you boil the hops? If so, for how long and is it just the hops you boil? Fairly new to all this so forgive me :)

Have you tried a Coopers Pale tin with a tin of wheat malt and some Saaz boiled for 10 min.

Prob better with a liquid wheat yeast culture.

Quite a drinkable beer to replicate.

Seth :p

This sounds like a good formula, though I think an ale yeast would probably bring me closer to the style, as I believe thats what they use in it. But the malt formula and aroma Saaz sounds like it would get me pretty close. Thanks...

try this

safwheat yeast.

i wouldn't boil the hops for this one just dry hop into the fermenter.
del

try this

i wouldn't boil the hops for this one just dry hop into the fermenter.
del

Do you mean just put the hop pellets into a bag into the fermenter?

Do you do this after fermentation has stopped?

Cheers,

Maxy

just chuck the hops in there, dont worry about a bag. it aint gonna hurt the beer. just ad to the sludge at the bottom.

last brew i couldnt be arsed straining all hops after boiling (and wanted some more flavour), so i chucked in about 1/2 - 3/4 the hops straight in and strained the rest. nice and hoppy.

as Mika_lika said 'redback is pretty natural'. so just chucking in the hops and letting is dissolve or whatever is pretty natural and you should get a lighter less concentrated flavour.

just my thoughts

try this

safwheat yeast.

I bought brewcraft beer booster number 10 today (I think) for my Beermakers bavarian wheat and wondered if I got the right stuff. It's called Gemdex booster. Is that the same as brewcraft #10 brew enhancer??

Cheers,

Maxy

I bought brewcraft beer booster number 10 today (I think) for my Beermakers bavarian wheat and wondered if I got the right stuff. It's called Gemdex booster. Is that the same as brewcraft #10 brew enhancer??

Cheers,

Maxy

Couldnt tell you for sure off the top of my head. probably. Im running v low on suppplies at home and dont have any laying around. where did you buy it from? supermarket? or a Homebrew store?

Im planning to head down to my local HB store saturday. I'll check for you.

Couldnt tell you for sure off the top of my head. probably. Im running v low on suppplies at home and dont have any laying around. where did you buy it from? supermarket? or a Homebrew store?

Im planning to head down to my local HB store saturday. I'll check for you.

Hi citymorgue,
I got it from the LHBS. Thanks for that I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Maxy

Well, after much thinking and reading I came to the following recipe.

Steeped 100g of Crystal malt in 1.5 litres of 70C water for 30 mins. Strained and sparged this with 500ml of hot water and mixed in the brew kettle with a 1.1kg tin of Thomas Cooper's liquid wheat malt (which is 50/50 barley and wheat malt) and boiled for 5 minutes. Flamed out then added a 1.7kg tin of Cooper's Canadian Blonde and 2 x 12g Saaz Hops teabags. Poured it all into fermenter (hops bags too) and topped up with cold water to 23 litres. Pitched a US-56 ale yeast at 25 C and its been bubbling away nicely at 16-18 C (been cold in Perth). I expect it will be in the fermenter for at least a week and a half at these temps. Will post again later to say how it turns out. Wheat malt content is less than 25% so it not gonna be exactly like a Redback, but it should be sweetish and easy to drink.

Back