Ideal Flavour & Aroma Hop Ratios And Addition Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I have been doing some reseach and trying to find a benchmark for the best hop addition ratio's and times, and are coming up a little short. We are all aware that a 60min boil is the min. for max bitterness extraction but what about flavour and aroma.
For eg. A simple Pils.
If I was looking at 3 hop additions with the one hop variety, bittering, flavour and aroma, I have been working on a ratio of 40%, 30%, 30%. at 60/30/1 min. intervals. This appears to work ok but is it the best utilisation of my hops for the derired results.
Could I get the same results by reducing the 60 min addition and uping the 30 min addition thus increasing IBU's and getting more flavour. On paper or Beersmith you can.
In that case why not just have one hop addition at approx 20 mins and get the best of all worlds without all the little additions?

Steve

For starters you would need to use a greater total amount of hops.

Also from my limited late only hopping you get a different kind of bitterness out of it.(hopefully someone can explain that better)

Thats a great table SpillsMostOfIt.

Very nice indeed, just saved myself a copy - hell, I'm gonna print one out and tack it to my wall!

That's quite an interesting chart - I wonder where the data is from??

there is another chart from the menu on that site that gives a relationship between IBUs and OG. Interesting.

That not a bad site. I interested in where they get the info from.
Also I wonder if there should be any allowance for continued hop utilization during the time it takes to cool the wort. Thinking from a no chiller type of production where the finished/boiled wort/beer would be sitting for up to half an hour prior to transfer into the cube for cooling.

There are about 6 pages on that site that have really good info on grains, hops, and the interaction between them under different circumstances.

Have bookmarked.

Thanks.

Festa.

I have been doing some reseach and trying to find a benchmark for the best hop addition ratio's and times, and are coming up a little short. We are all aware that a 60min boil is the min. for max bitterness extraction but what about flavour and aroma.
For eg. A simple Pils.
If I was looking at 3 hop additions with the one hop variety, bittering, flavour and aroma, I have been working on a ratio of 40%, 30%, 30%. at 60/30/1 min. intervals. This appears to work ok but is it the best utilisation of my hops for the derired results.
Could I get the same results by reducing the 60 min addition and uping the 30 min addition thus increasing IBU's and getting more flavour. On paper or Beersmith you can.
In that case why not just have one hop addition at approx 20 mins and get the best of all worlds without all the little additions?

Steve

Steve,
In my favorite Pilsner recipe I use 60,40,20 minute hop additions using equal quantities of hops for each one. I don't use any flameout/aroma additions at all and this beer has a ton of aroma and flavor and is closer to a commercial style european Pilsner than any other hopping schedule I have used.
Just wish I could enter it in the Qld State comp :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew

It's a good site. I've bookmarked it to use as another reference.
Thanks SMOI :beerbang:

I'm yet to know for sure. But, I use this as a guide:

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

Probably good as a guide, but if their comments below it are anything to go by I wouldn't rely too much on its accuracy..

"As you can see, peak AROMA is about 7 minutes after the start of the boil.
Peak FLAVOR is about 20 minutes into the boil and peak BITTERNESS is arrived at about 60 minutes.

Hops boiled for 20 minutes yeild maximum flavor but all the aroma has dissipated.
By 40 minutes, all the flavor has disipated."

Saying ALL aroma & flavour are dissipated after these times is not correct...

Cheers Ross

I agree Ross, 20 or 15 minute additions, if enough hops are used give plenty of aroma.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm yet to know for sure. But, I use this as a guide:

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

Cheers, havnt seen this before.

Five of my last six brews I have used either 20 and 5 min if plugs or 2 or 3 min less if pellets and the results have been consistently good.
I used to start aroma and flavour additions at 15 min, and wasnt happy with the depth of flavour, so I reckon this charts pretty good.
My only query is the decline rate of flavouring compounds. Down to 0% after 45min??? If you brewed two identical beers, only hopped for bitterness at 90 min, one with chinook and the other EKG, you would definatly taste the difference.
Otherwise everyone would be happy with POR. ;)

Cheers

Chris

I agree Ross, 20 or 15 minute additions, if enough hops are used give plenty of aroma.

Cheers
Andrew
WOW :blink: Now that goes against everything I have read. I guess now all I have to do is try it for myself, and that I will.
I must say that I have done over 40 AG brews now using the very late additions for flavour and aroma and have not found a great difference in end results no matter how much I add at say flame out or 1 min. At least with the 60 40 20 therory if you can cut down on the o/a amount of hops used and get the same or better results than using late additions it has to be a good thing. :D

Steve

It's interesting how different people's experience varies.

I've used this table as a guide and when I do, it seems to work pretty well, in spite of the fact that I BIAB and no-chill. I do tend to dry-hop to secondary as well, which may contradict the table.

As a contrast, I did a hop-burst thing with additions each five minutes from 30mins to powerdown and the finished beer had less of everything than my usual technique, despite using more hops than I would normally.

Should you take it as gospel? Of course not - nothing you read (here or elsewhere on the intraweb thingy) should be taken so. But it is as good a published starting point as I have seen.

That site has several good illustrations in my view that work similarly.

When you did the hopburst beer, did you also dry hop that, SMOI?

I'm not sure about that site. I definitely disagree with this page for example, and I've definitely noticed hop flavour from beers which have 60 minute additions only. :unsure:

I'm not sure about that site. I definitely disagree with this page for example, and I've definitely noticed hop flavour from beers which have 60 minute additions only. :unsure:

It's a nice colourful chart but I think it's wrong too. Maltiness is probably not the right word there, as it is possible to have a malty beer which is also hoppy.

As for flavour being not present after 40 minutes..hmm.

Latest posts

Back