"ice"ing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouapp12

Reaction score
the aim:

a clear high percentage beer, something you could get blind off ... like TED platinum except with some flavor and not $3 a pop

the plan:

put together an extra strong brew (K&K&K or K&K&K&K)
rack in priming sugar seal the cube and allow it to carbonate
let out some air and stick the lot in a freezer for a day or two
put what remains liquid through a water filter and into bottles

questions:

what would the best yest to use, the wikipedia thing on exceptionally strong beers talks about using champagne yeast, would that have many drawbacks?

how carbonated should i risk in a cube?

will it stay carbonated if its all open for the bottling process?

would a water filter remove all the sentiment or just screw it all up?

what ingredients should i use? i was thinking two coopers real ales for bitterness to match the percentage and make the rest up with dex

of corse if distilling was legal i could just do that but hell this might turn out ok

thanks in advance

yeah, freezing will lose carbonation but will allow you to tap it off easier. it'd also kill the yeast i imagine, you'd need to rack off after freezing, re-pitch some fresh yeast, bulk prime again and then bottle.

having said all that there's a white-labs strain that tolerates up to 25% alcohol. http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp099.html

Two Coopers real Ale cans will make for a pretty bitter tasting beer, likely not what you're after. Use light malt extracts, and cans with lower hopping. Add dextrose to the main mix, and maybe another dextrose hit 3-4 days in to the ferment. Even wyeast 1056 goes up to 10% abv, so that coupled with freeze distillation could get you right up there. There's also Belgian yeasts that can get up to 14% fairly easily.

By the way, freeze distillation is just as illegal as using a still in Australia :)

of corse if distilling was legal i could just do that but hell this might turn out ok

I think freeze distilling is illegal as well

My fridge stuck on once and I froze a beer that I was cold conditioning, It was like a slushy I racked the 'beer' and it was one of the best beers I have made. Strong but good. It was the old Grumpys now stillbrewing Boston cream masterbrew.

ok so use white-labs099 yeast, use a lower IBU kit, don't tell people im freezing it

feel free to preface future posts with "in theory"

i know ill kill the yeast but will it stay carbonated? and ill be ok with the water filter?

i know ill kill the yeast but will it stay carbonated?
no it wont, you'll have to re-pitch the yeast before bottling. remember tho, if you aiming (theoretically) for higher than 25% after freezing, then you wont be able to carbonate without a kegging system or something.

no it wont, you'll have to re-pitch the yeast before bottling. remember tho, if you aiming (theoretically) for higher than 25% after freezing, then you wont be able to carbonate without a kegging system or something.
thanks, that is exactly what i needed to know, im just bad at phrasing questions

i may just give up for now, i cant afford a kegging system atm, and my buddies wouldn't drink "beer cordial"

i will however look for that yeast, and a filtration system to make it easier drinking

thanks again

25% distilled beer?!?!?!?!

Who the hell came up with this idea? Whats it like? A spirit?

Wouldnt it lose alot of the beer taste and be overpowered by alchohol?

Back