Ibu In My Beer Aid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavoj

Reaction score
I got a program i download and i follow it to make my Ipa but last night i found another and i give it a shoot in result i find out that in one my beer will have 34 ibu and the other 50 : i use

centennial 1oz
fuggle 1oz
cascade 1 oz

OG was 1.070
6lb light dme
2.8lb wheat dme

if the ibu is 34 should i add a extra cascade i have to the f2 or just use the amarillo i plan to put there?(amarillo +cascade; or amarillo )

There are different formulae for calculating IBU which will explain the discrepancy. Check which each is. Then brew according to one or the other. If the result is out of kilter with what you expect, use the other formula.

As for your question - I'm having a touch of difficulty following.

First we tend to use metric measurements rather than imperial.

Second, where in the boil did you use the hops?

Third what were you aiming for in terms of IBU?

Fourth How would you be intending to add the cascade? Late/dry hopping won't add any bitterness. Sorry if you knew that.

>
2.72kg dme light
1.27kg dme wheat
OG 1.070

28.3g centennial 60min
28.3g fuggle 30 min
28.3g cascade 10 min

between 50 -60

dry cascade - just looking for flavor since malt can neutral hop flavor

If looking for flavour then IBU won't have too much to do with whether you should dry hop.

Fuggles is an interesting flavour addition with Cascade and Centennial. Hope it works out how you like.

Anyway work out which formula gives you the bitterness you like and go with that for recipe development from then on. Rager and Tinseth are the two I know (and very common) but I think there's another one too.

Latest posts

Back