I started my lager fermentation at 22•C

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotthbutler

Reaction score
Hi all
I had a brain fart and set my fermentation temp on my fridge mate at 22C instead of 12C. I didn't realize for about 30hrs. The wort was bubbling away nicely by this time.

I'm using Danish lager yeast, OG was 1.040, I've now set the temp to 12C and will keep it at that for 11 days before dropping down to 1-2C for another 10 days.

Has anyone done anything like this before? And did the mistake produce off flavores?

Looks like you've made yourself a steam beer. After 30 hrs you probably have a significant amount of your fermentation complete at those temps. I haven't done this but my reading says that you will get Ale type esters.... Should still be drinkable though.

It will be OK, not the best way to start a lager but getting it down cooler will help avoid any more issues.
May be a few unwanted flavours thrown but most of your 30 hours would have been lag time.
Look into a D rest before hitting final gravity to help get rid of some of the flavours, then cold condition for as long as you can before bottling, then a good cold lager in the bottle should see you fine.
I (and probably many others ) have been known to start a lager at ale temps to give the yeast a head start but have never left it 30 hours before getting to temp, normally pitch and drop temp straight away so only elevated for 4-6 hours.

it could be clone of grandridge brewers pilsner. (at worst, as long as you like pop corn it'll be fine)

Depending on our yeast, you may be making a steam beer or boldly going where no one has gone before. I've heard of lagers at 18-19, but not 22. Caution: check that the cooling has not induced flocculation and produced a stuck fermentation. My guess is you'll get some esters that are out of style but not necessarily nasty. Let us know.

really looking forward to hearing how this goes mate, some times accidents become an awesome discovery, keep us posted!

Ill let you all know when it's all done and dusted. The best beer I've ever brewed was one of my fist AG beers, I dropped my letterman in the boil kettle half way through the boil. It was greasy and covered in crap. The beer was great and the leather man was all shinny. Double bonus

Back