I Need A Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualties_army40

Reaction score
hey can anyone offer a real strong cheap cider recipe.
i want it strong and tastly. the more simplethe recipe, the better.

i want stuf like what yeast to use, type of sugars, apples/ apple juice, and how much of it, extra ingrediants to add to flavour. what method to use. how long to age, and whether or not rack into secondary. ect

cheers.

I made one up the other week.

12L Berri Apple Juice, 6L Berri Apple/Pear Juice.

Two packs of brigalow yeast, one pack of nutrient. 1.044 down to 1.000 in around two weeks.

It's currently in the keg, needs a bit more time to mature though, it's got a slight sulphur hint for some reason. Best drunk ICE cold.

My recipe was:

12 ltrs of apple juice
10 ltrs of apple & pear juice
1.6kg of dextrose
2tsp yeast nutrient
Dry Champagne Yeast

I think the OG was about 1080 (from memory), dropped right down to about 1002 I think. Make sure what ever juice you buy is preservative free. I didn't rack to a secondary, just crash chilled for a few days prior to kegging. It's was clear enought to read a newspaper through.

Cheers SJ

hey can anyone offer a real strong cheap cider recipe.
i want it strong and tastly. the more simplethe recipe, the better.

i want stuf like what yeast to use, type of sugars, apples/ apple juice, and how much of it, extra ingrediants to add to flavour. what method to use. how long to age, and whether or not rack into secondary. ect

cheers.

In the non brewing section of the forum there are several active threads on cidermaking. Simple cider and simplest cider are two of those - basically preservative free apple juice and your choice of yeast. The other answers will depend on how strong, what characteristics (dry, semi dry, sweet), kegging/bottling? temperature control at your disposal etc.

Mines in the database but I'll post here anyhow. It comes out very strong (like 11%) so just cut sugar down to 500g or 1kg if you don't want that much. But if you do...

20L P&N apple juice (any juice with 'no preservatives' on it would do)
couple of crushed cinnamon sticks
2kg sugar
Levin 1118 dry champagne yeast.

That worked wonders an was around 1.080 at the start of ferment, and I bottled when it stalled due to the cold at 1.020. Mistake...although i used plastic bottles so it was alright. A few months ageing saw a nice, champagne type drink with high carbonation and the classic bubble trails up the glass.

Awesome stuff.

Cheers - boingk

Back