I Got Bored At Easter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to know what its worth, then you cant afford it
Looks beautiful.
I can imagine the cost of the slab but really it would be comparable to buying a table of that quality, which would be near on impossible. On the other hand, a well seasoned warp and blemish free slab of that thickness would not appear every day. I reckon you did incredibly well just to find a slab like that.
Tables are easy enough to build but decent chairs are expensive to purchase. I should have a crack at building some decent chairs, one day.

Anyone here crafted some fine chairs?

I may be missing out on an inside joke here, but I don't see a Suzuki...

Go a smaller kitchen bench, add extra fridge for kegs in the space remaining.

Less bench space to clean = win, Beer fridge in kitchen = double win.

Not interested in walking that far. My beer fridge is behind the lounge.

I just wish i could have talked her into the piss trough next to it.

Told here i'd get something classy, 'A urinal' i said, 'not a piss trough'...

StillWouldn'tFlyPunkin

I may be missing out on an inside joke here, but I don't see a Suzuki...

Indeed.
Oh the insult of mistaking an Italian thoroughbred for a Japanese McBike.

How could I get my corporate branding so wrong when then spend so much on it.

Imagine if I called him Kawasakiboi stu? :eek: :lol:

Looks beautiful.
I can imagine the cost of the slab but really it would be comparable to buying a table of that quality, which would be near on impossible. On the other hand, a well seasoned warp and blemish free slab of that thickness would not appear every day. I reckon you did incredibly well just to find a slab like that.
Tables are easy enough to build but decent chairs are expensive to purchase. I should have a crack at building some decent chairs, one day.

Anyone here crafted some fine chairs?

Malted... I have in my shed a number of large mill sawn Red Cedar slabs...i am talking 450x200x2400...300x200x3000, to many to list...I have had them for about 10 years, I have some plans for some more furniture . The colour of the timber as absolutly beautiful. :icon_cheers:

The trick is to buy them green and season them yourself. Takes a few years, but not much work to stack and turn them occasionally. ;)

You can get good slabs quite cheap in the right place at the right time. I got a lot of Rosewood slabs at a wood auction once as they were rough edge pieces with flaws. Exactly what i was looking for, but everyone else was after the furniture grade.

They came up well as a stand to hold my telly off the floor.

Apologies to the jointers here, my skills barely reach the bolt together stage :rolleyes:

entertainmentcentre2.jpg

entertainmentcentre3.jpg

Malted... I have in my shed a number of large mill sawn Red Cedar slabs...i am talking 450x200x2400...300x200x3000, to many to list...I have had them for about 10 years,
:icon_drool2: Very useful lengths.
This is another reason I need a bigger shed! :D And a dust extraction system - sawdust all over the brewing gear is not so cool.

My ambition is to build a Bill Pentz styled cyclone system. What do you guys use?

The trick is to buy them green and season them yourself. Takes a few years, but not much work to stack and turn them occasionally. ;)
They came up well as a stand to hold my telly off the floor.

Great character in the timber of the stand. It would not look half as cool if it had perfect edges.

I have too many projects on the go as it is and my wood stack is growing. I have collected enough that I need to build a frame of sorts for it. I could just imagine my missus complaining about me storing slabs for an extended period of time. She almost chucked a wobly when I told her I wanted to buy a wood lathe. (I got hold of some ferrules and finials and want to make some half sized 'hand pull style' beer tap handles in lovely bits of wood).

Mostly I do things on a needs be basis, like a bookshelf (it is on its last legs now after the abuse suffered from two lots of removalists)
Bookshelf_April_2006.JPG

and little projects as gifts for friends.
Cut to shape with a jigsaw, then carved with a flappy disc on the angle grinder and a die grinder for the details.
Whopper_stopper_1_BenLynes.JPG

When I used to live in rural Queensland I used to scab old timber from here and there and liked to make 'rustic' frames for my photos (I do the matte board cutting too).
An old silky oak door frame from a demolished house. It was common to use silky oak in door frames and window frames back then, and then paint over it!
Timber_frame_4.JPG

Old weathered cypress pine, brought back to life from a derelict cottage.
Timber_frame_6.JPG

Frames for other things (the frame was actually timber from the inside of an old wool press).
Gift_for_Werners.JPG

Old bottles scabbed from bottle dumps nearby to ancient, abandoned homestead buildings (I used to love ratting through these sites!). Red desert sand from the far west in them. It was purposesly built as a gift for a friend who was leaving but had sentimental attachment to the far west. It was a shadowbox to hang on the wall that showed some of the character of the region.
Shadow_box_1.JPG

Edit: Sorry Punkin if I have gone too far off topic.

My ambition is to build a Bill Pentz styled cyclone system. What do you guys use?

I'm a bit basic.

i carry it out to the carport and do it outside, then sweep up later :lol:

Edit: Sorry Punkin if I have gone too far off topic.

It's not my topic, i hijacked it.
B)

I also made a table kind of thing over easter... Mine is very rough.

2012_04_08_21.42.03.jpg

Did some more this weekend. Decorative trim and a plinth!

IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0162.jpg

All undercoated and ready for a top coat now.

Cheers
Dave

Skills some of you lads have is amazing! Very impressed

I still have a couple more big slabs of bluegum in the shed. The real pity is that its a couple feet short of what i need to do my kitchen benches :(

What about combining the blue gum with some granite or bluestone and/or stainless. That'll help "stretch" the timber out. Plus the combination of textures looks good IMO.
My parents kitchen has timber, stainless, polished bluestone and honed bluestone. It looks pretty good (especially with the AGA). Was in a magazine a while back.

Skills some of you lads have is amazing! Very impressed

What about combining the blue gum with some granite or bluestone and/or stainless. That'll help "stretch" the timber out. Plus the combination of textures looks good IMO.
My parents kitchen has timber, stainless, polished bluestone and honed bluestone. It looks pretty good (especially with the AGA). Was in a magazine a while back.

Now that is a good idea
B)

Back