Hydrometre Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've never really bothered with starting gravity before, was always more interested in final gravity being the same over a few days to know when the fermenting has finished.

For this batch I wanted to measure it properly and work out abv%

I have a cheap hydrometer I got from Woolies. Probably brigalow.

I just measured my SG at 1.036 @ 21 degrees c.

I just measured tap water at tap water temps (probably 24 degrees c) and it was in the minuses. Probably around -1.004 to -1.006

Is there an easy way to calibrate my hydrometer without having to chill water / wort?

I'm using a brewers selection celtic red ale and have topped up with less than the 5L recommended.

Cheers

Hello all.

I've never really bothered with starting gravity before, was always more interested in final gravity being the same over a few days to know when the fermenting has finished.

For this batch I wanted to measure it properly and work out abv%

I have a cheap hydrometer I got from Woolies. Probably brigalow.

I just measured my SG at 1.036 @ 21 degrees c.

I just measured tap water at tap water temps (probably 24 degrees c) and it was in the minuses. Probably around -1.004 to -1.006

Is there an easy way to calibrate my hydrometer without having to chill water / wort?

I'm using a brewers selection celtic red ale and have topped up with less than the 5L recommended.

Cheers

Mark,
Ignore Darren's suggestion.
You need to be more accurate with your measurements, all those probablies can make a big difference.
Measure your temp and gravity accurately and use a temp adjustment calculator like this one to get an accurate figure.

Nige

Edit: Pure water should give you 1.000 at 20C

If you are in the market for a better hydrometer here is a good one. Comes with a correction table also.

Cheers
Gavo.

Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer, other than the stick on one on the outside of the fermenter and the fridgemate one taped to the side of the fermenter (insulated with an inch of foam).

So I'm pretty sure the wort is 21 degrees, but I guess it could have warmed up a few degrees when transferred to the measuring jar.

Looks like my hydrometer is calibrated for 15 degrees as well.

Oh well, my readings on other batches always seemed too low but they get me pissed easy enough.

I'll get a better hydrometer next time I'm at craft brewer

Take it back and get a new one.

cheers

Darren

+1

It doesn't take a lot to move the paper inside the glass tube, especially on cheaply made hydrometers. And a Hydrometer that doesn't read 0.000 in water, is more useless than a broken clock. At least the clock's right twice a day, whilst the Hydrometer never will be.

And buy a thermometer while you are there - brewing without a thermometer is possible..... but certainly not easy.

It doesn't matter how expensive or accurate your Hydrometer is, its calibrated to operate at a specific temperature and if your liquid isn't at that temperature, you have to correct for the difference, so have to know the temperature... get the thermometer.

Buy one of those little digital stick thermometers and it will help your brewing and you will be able to cook the perfect steak as well.

TB

Yep I definitely need a thermometer. Will look at getting one that can be used for multiple different things.

Back