Hydrometer Too High. Did I Do The Right Thing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
Hi. My Beertools program calculated that my O.G should be 1.048 for my 25L brew. It came out as 1.060! I added water to bring it down to 1.050 but had to add around 6 litres. Now I have around 30L fermenting.

Did I do the right thing or did I screw up? How did Beertools get it so wrong? I'm pretty sure the the hop flavour will suffer now.

Cheers

Floyd

Either you got a significantly higher rate of efficiency than beertools was set for, or perhaps there was a mistake measuring your grains and you just got a kg of extra malt by mistake - or perhaps a combo of both. If this is one of your first AG brews, I suspect more of the former and you just need to work your actual results into your expectations If its a one off aberration and you have had a number of brews work out closer to your expectations, I suspect the latter and you just have to hope that either the HB shop or you don't make the mistake again.

Getting unexpected gravity out of their brew is one of the reasons why a lot of brewers like to measure their gravity at Pre-Boil. Once you know the pre-boil gravity, you can use that figure to work out if what you expected to happen, is what did happen. Then you can do things like add water if you are high, add some DME if you are low - and importantly, add or subtract hops to keep the bitterness and flavour/aroma balance you intended.

Your beer will be a bit less bitter, a bit less hoppy and a bit less malty than you planned for - Not a great tradgedy, but maybe next time (hopefully there wont be one) split the difference. A few more litres of slightly stronger beer rather than all one way or the other.

It will mostly likely still be just fine but - here's a couple of things you can do if you really want.

Have a taste out of your fermentor, and if its really lacking in hop flavour you can dry hop
When the fermentation is finished - ie: gravity is stable for a couple of days... dont bottle it yet. Just put the fermenter in the coolest place in your house, or if you have it in a fridge, set it to chill down. Before that, take a small PET coke bottle, tap it full from the fermentor making sure you get a good bit of yeast in there, add the appropriate amount of priming sugar, put it in a warm place. When its fizzy (you can check by squeezing the bottle) but it will only be a few days - chill it down and pour yourself a taste. If its not bitter enough - add some ISO hop extract to the fermentor. You could just taste from the fermentor... but I for one find it bery difficult to judge the finished bitterness from an uncarbonated warm sample. A week of extra time in the fermentor wont hurt your beer unless its warmer than average.

But thats all a lot of bothe for a beer that will probably be OK anyway.

Hope thats a little help

TB

Wow, cheers for the response. I took a gravity reading at preboil and worked my efficiency out to be 76% (1% more than the recipe). I added 100g of Molasses sugar too. Wonder if that was part of the problem? I calculated that the bitterness will still be at 39.4 so that should really suffice. Was already planning to dry hop anyway so will still go ahead with that. Tasted a sample from the fermenter and it's got that 'burnt' taste. Looking quite good actually.

The fermenting beer is very close to the top of the fermenter so my main priority at this point is going to the local supermarket and buying a 5L bottle of water to transfer some to! Fermented this batch on to a yeast cake so should be plenty of yeast in there.

Many thanks for the help. Next time, (hopefully there won't be one) I'll split the difference as you suggested. That way, I get a bit of best from both worlds.

Thanks again

Floyd

Floydmeddler,

What were your recipe details? Hard to comment whether a measuring or Beertools error without seeing what you did.

cheers Ross

Back