Hydrometer Readings A C02 Absorption?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score
This is going to be a stupid question I can just tell.

Does anyone regularly flatten there beer from the fermenter before taking a hydrometer reading. In the past I have just taken a reading straight from the fermenter and left it at that, but I recently decided to flatten the beer by pouring it back and forth from a glass to another glass to remove any absorbed C02 from fermentation. My hydrometer reading went from 1.014 to 1.012.

Should this be regular practice or can you take into account the fermentation temperatures and calculate what the actual reading is?

I tend to just let my sample sit for a bit and when it looks flat and the initial head in the tube has settled, I put the Hydrometer in and give it a twirl.

I use a refractometer and get no bubbles in that :p plus only have to draw of 20ml and 19ml of that gets tasted the oter 3 drops go on the refracto :D

I use a refractometer and get no bubbles in that :p plus only have to draw of 20ml and 19ml of that gets tasted the oter 3 drops go on the refracto :D

Nice, I think that's what I'm going to start doing, any special brands or are they all pretty much good?

I just got a cheap on from ebay and it seems pretty accurate. Just adjust it with tap water before each use and its fine.

HERE! or use beersmiths refractometer tool. Now I just take SG and guess the brix till it gives me my SG do this for both readings (beersmith will let you put in OG SG but that one wont) so when you converted SG to brix (I find birx to hard to read on mine) put them in it will tell you your gravity and alcohol content

Latest posts

Back