Hunters / Rec Shooters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any Tassie shooters out there ? You guys have it good with what's available to you, and legal. NSW sucks for gun control laws, and as a result there's very few shops around anymore.

Any Tassie shooters out there ? You guys have it good with what's available to you, and legal. NSW sucks for gun control laws, and as a result there's very few shops around anymore.

Given your popularity around the traps here at times, that could be a bonus for you, Ren. :D

Just kidding, of course. ;)

stagga.

Given your popularity around the traps here at times, that could be a bonus for you, Ren. :D

What a ridiculous thing to propose. Perhaps in the USA you would expect people being executed for simply making unpopular forum posts, but I hardly think this would be the case in Australia. Unless of course homebrewing has become the preferred hobby for lebanese youth gangs. Still, there have been instances of an occasional AHB hero making physical threats from the comfort of his keyboard, so I guess anything's possible.

Yes, asshole, you know who you are. :rolleyes:

If there are enough Vic AHBrs interested I can see what the conditions are like at a mate's co-op property near Bonny Doon. I havent cleared out the feral pigs in ages. So if the piggies are an issue again, we might be able to head down and clear them and set up some targets for a more casual shoot. they have plenty of hectarage. As its a co-op there's also plenty of accommodation and we could arrange it for a weekend when no one else is going to be around.

a couple of unbreakable ground rules would apply though
1. no guns and liquor. Of course we are brewers and will be drinking, but as soon as you've started on the booze, your shooting finishes. Break this rule and your kicked off the property
2. no skylarking whilst armed. guns and idiocy dont mix. Starting acting stupid whilst holding a firearm and endangering others or yourself through stupidity and your kicked off the property.
3. point a firearm at anyone, armed or not, and your kicked off the property.
4. If the propertys ute is working (or you bring one) and you want to do some shooting from the ute, no worries providing the above points arent broken. None of this good old boys crap with hollering and wailing on the back whilst letting off rounds.

I dont put up with that sort of shit.

The fact that you stress the word "legitimate" so heavily, Hopper, suggests you know exactly why city folk are automatically (or at the very least semi-automatically) against shooting.

Ha ha, excellent Bum. Clever word plays there. Love a good pun myself.

Sure I do get why people are against shooting. The tragedies and suffering caused by a handful of people has been terrible. I think all would agree with that.

Was trying to make the point that not all who have access to firearms are nutters.

Hopper.

Clay Target, of the Field and Game Variety with an U/O Lanber 2097, think it's the Lux edition, but I forget now.
Things that annoy us on the farm with a Paker & Hale 243, a really old H&R (1918 model I think ?) single shot shotty, my BC Miroku side by side (also used for the occasional comp) a LEGAL semi-auto Marlin .22, still the duck nuts for rabbits and a bunch of other bolt action .22's that are mostly for sentimental reasons.
And just for the geeks, have shot a Browning semi-auto shotgun, believe it was the first production semi-auto shotgun (design). Weird thing where the whole barrel jumps back to grab the next round, nice to shoot with, but a little disconcerting when the whole gun jumps around in your hands between shots.

Growing up on the dirt, having guns in the house was just a given... When I was older I got into the sport a bit, more of an interest really. I left the family property about the same time as the buy back. I sold all the automatic rifles I had to the Feds and the others to the local gun shop. The whole irony of it was, the SKK that I paid $200 for at Ag Quip two years before and flogged to death, the government gave me $500 for... it was a useless piece of shit anyway.

I had a Sako 22-250 with a custom barrell.. that was a fantastic piece of equipment. You could put ten holes grouped the size of a 20 cent piece at 400 metres on a still day with that thing. I paid for my first car shooting roos by comission on another fellas tags with it in about 6 months flat..

When I had kids, I was kinda glad I made the decision I did

Yes you rang :p

have it good? dont know about that other than NSW and WA are the worst states in Aus for firearms laws....WA did have a good one over Tas.....I was allowed to take my Kids Hunting and to the Range to fire my rifles(i live in Kalgoorlie/boulder for some time) etc Big no no in Tas

Been Hunting for years my late Grand father started me off at 6 with the air rifle....in Victor harbour :lol: wont do that now :lol:

i hunt mainly Wallaby,Rabbit,Hare,Feral cats,the odd feral pea Hen and Deer in that order more or less......oh and Tassy Fox's :D

Yes you rang :p

have it good? dont know about that other than NSW and WA are the worst states in Aus for firearms laws....WA did have a good one over Tas.....I was allowed to take my Kids Hunting and to the Range to fire my rifles(i live in Kalgoorlie/boulder for some time) etc Big no no in Tas

Been Hunting for years my late Grand father started me off at 6 with the air rifle....in Victor harbour :lol: wont do that now :lol:

i hunt mainly Wallaby,Rabbit,Hare,Feral cats,the odd feral pea Hen and Deer in that order more or less......oh and Tassy Fox's :D
umm arent wallaby protected? youll get yourself into trouble.

Yep..but then there are permits (about $25) and no bag limit.....oh and spotlighting is normal and legal with a crop protection permit(Free)

Yep..but then there are permits (about $25) and no bag limit.....oh and spotlighting is normal and legal with a crop protection permit(Free)
sweet. i wonder if i can get the same thing here to get rid of these possums. I dont want them eating my fruit and veggies once they are going. and besodes they are pissing me off majorly at night.

i'll try a paintball gun first.

Have fun getting that one.....i had a permit to shoot Brush tails here but the National parks officer had to do a survy first to check the numbers of possum to see if they were indeed over populated the same with Native Hens(paddock pizza) here can be shot with a permit......even Forester Kangaroo's but they are a hard permit to get they even have Tags for them like the Deer

hmm don't know about having it good when you take prices into account. Looking at buying a new .22, $790 on the mainland and was quoted $1100 for same gun in Tas.
$70 for a brick of Power Points is fairly steep too.

Chris

I hate it when our neighbours over the ditch (New Zealand) win, but reckon the Kiwis have it all over us.

This link proves it:
Kiwi Pea-shooters

Less regulation, and the stuff they can get is something to behold.

Mind you they do need higher power and long range sighting for the distances they have to shoot given the mountains and terrain, but amazed the hell out of me.

When I was on South Island they are paid per possum they shoot. Over there they are an introduced species and considered a pest.

Spoke to a park ranger near Fox Glacier who goes out most nights and he said the amount you get back is not huge, but it's enough to cover the cost of ammunition.

Hopper.

I'll step this thread back on track.

Here is a nice sow that crossed my path.
03102009848.jpg

BigPig.jpg

here`s another one.

stagga.

Attachments

• BigPig.jpg
    BigPig.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 35
Back