Huge batch pitfalls?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a batch on the weekend. 60l (keg) kettle. 55l of wort in the kettle. The wort was only 4 or 5 cm from the top of the kettle and I didn't take my eyes off it for the whole boil.
I have a spray bottle of water to spray the foam as it occasionally rises. This works really well.
Came close but didn't boil over.
I've had 30l boil over in the same kettle so I guess it comes down to attention for me.

I recently downsized, partly for convenience of electric and partly because I found double batches were reducing my appetite to brew new and experimental beers (40l of crappy 8% beer is hard work!). Many obviously make it work for them but food for thought.

I recently downsized, partly for convenience of electric and partly because I found double batches were reducing my appetite to brew new and experimental beers (40l of crappy 8% beer is hard work!). Many obviously make it work for them but food for thought.
Yeah I mostly do single 19l batches, occasionally do a double brew day (two different beers) mashing in the second one while the first one is on the boil and rarely do a double batch but my rig can handle it. The double I did last weekend is one I've brewed before, I don't think I'd do a new recipe in a double.

Honestly it is crazy how well it works, I don't know why it isn't more popular. Works really well for boiling starter wort in a flask too.

Brewman and clever brewing stock it. No affiliation etc

Latest posts

Back