How was your brew weekend?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0U5ECAT

Reaction score
After a weekend of constructing the new brew shed, I managed to lay down two new brews.
Tomorrow, I'll be throwing another two in.

Today I managed to do another batch of my Honey Cider and a twist on a Coopers IPA.

Tell me what you think of this and if I should add any dry hopping to it.

Coopers Authentic IPA

1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA
1kg Light Dry malt
500g Dextrose
50g Cintra Hops
50g Chinook Hops

boiled the hops with the LDM on the stove for 10 mins.

I'm thinking of dry hopping after a week with either Northern Brewer or Centennial.

Hey mate, I am drinking an IPA right now with a very similar recipe, just less hops (Motueka).

If you have anymore Citra and/or Chinook dry hop with those for some added aroma. Otherwise 100g of hops is heaps, for me anyway.

brewed a James Squire Porter clone 1st attempt with my brother in law, then later when cleaning the urn with boiling water i lifted the lid and left my hand in the wrong spot and steam burned by hand, bloody hurt like a MOFO looks like i have a sunburnt hand now...

Lesson learned TAKE CAUTION WHEN LIFTING THE LID ON A CROWN URN

I tried a more family friendly option of a late start instead on early finish. Did plenty of family stuff, set up and power on a 3 PM, and managed to get my little 3 year old mill all 4kg of grain by himself. What a trooper. This was good leverage as 'family time'. Set my steps, helped out with dinner and by mash out the kids were in bed.
Definitely getting more relaxing. Let's hope my Extra Dry clone turns out alright (3.6kg pilsner, 400g pale and 400g rice). Fingers crossed it doesn't taste exactly like Extra Dry.

TheWiggman said:
Definitely getting more relaxing. Let's hope my Extra Dry clone turns out alright (3.6kg pilsner, 400g pale and 400g rice). Fingers crossed it doesn't taste exactly like Extra Dry.

HAHAHA

hey could you post your recipe? i been looking for a TED recipe for awhile so i can brew it for some "Its Too Bitter" Beer drinkers

I had a stuck sparge and a pump that wouldn't prime. Lucky the old BIAB bag was lying around.

Rough Recipe..

[SIZE=9.5pt]Pale Malt (80kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Amber Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Carafa (4kg)0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Chocolate Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Roasted Barley (4kg)[/SIZE]

Final Volume ~380 liters, dunno what the gravity was after boil off but we had 415L of 1055 Stout at the start of the 90 min boil

TBH it was almost flawless, step mashed over 3 mash tuns, 75L MT was stap mashed 52'c/10, 72'c/60, 130L MT was single infusion at 66'c and the 200L was single infusion at 63'c...

We ended up with 17 cubes full, many of them hopped with different hops >LINKY<

We're not sure if its a Swap Day Record, but certainly both the largest brew I've done and the Largest I've seen done at a swap day. (Thanks Adam and Wayne for all the assistance)

:super: ---------> EPIC

Spent the weekend watching my Coopers Ale yeast doing bugger all.
Only had 2 stubbies and used 600ml water with 4 spoons dextrose.
Added 2 more spoons of dextrose yesterday and it seems to have created a bit of sediment on the bottom of the bottle but nothing on top yet.
Hopefully it will start doing something today.

Question for you guys.

Can I use this Coopers yeast in a Blue Mountain Lager?
Cheers.

GrumpyOldMan said:
Spent the weekend watching my Coopers Ale yeast doing bugger all.
Only had 2 stubbies and used 600ml water with 4 spoons dextrose.
Added 2 more spoons of dextrose yesterday and it seems to have created a bit of sediment on the bottom of the bottle but nothing on top yet.
Hopefully it will start doing something today.

Question for you guys.

Can I use this Coopers yeast in a Blue Mountain Lager?
Cheers.
should not be using dextrose for culturing yeast sorry to say mate..

despite what Coopers say on their website... no.. no.. no... wrong diet for them.

...also, that volume is far too high for a first step, should be more like , 20ml ----> 100ml ----> 500ml ----> 2000ml starting step with a malt gravity of 1020 then the other steps at 1040

Bottled a Munich I + Glacier SMaSH and a Hanover Broyhan and all well. Then had my first crack at a big beer (an English Barley Wine) stovetop BIAB style. Might have not quite worked out the numbers for what the system could cope with. Some mess, scalds & bad language. Decent test for the healing of the fractured shoulder though.

I finally made a mead that a mate and I have been planning for over 12 months. It just seemed that every opportunity was derailed by other commitments, drunkenness or lack of time and/or correct yeast and nutrients. It all came together on Sunday and went pretty smooth. Slight delay in getting the must down to pitchng temp was the only minor problem. I also put down a Bribie G inspired heavy-ish 2 can stout as I had the all the gear out and clean. Washed a heap of bottles then drank a flight of various home brews and commercial rarities to top it all off. That was a pretty good day.

No more messing around due to bizarre experimenting (why make an imperial stout when you don't like stout or high alcohol beers?) resulting in crazy unbalanced brews - used an actual online tool to design an actual recipe.

Looking forward to this porter.

Bottled a Morgan ginger beer and muntons smugglers gold, started an imperial stout and woodfordes Wherry yesterday.
A small spot of fishing today I think.

Got down a basic k&k recipe:

Mangrove Jacks Classic Blonde Dry
0.5kg Dextrose
0.5kg LDME
0.5kg Wheat DME
12gm Galaxy steeped for 15 minutes.
Will probably dry hop with another 12gm Galaxy @ day 5 or 6

Cheers,

I suppose today counts as part of my weekend, I did a cascadian OG of around 1067, brew day went smoothly and probably one of the last on the 3v, so in celebration of a good brew day I decided to try a Belgian Quad I'd recently bottled. Lets just say it needs another federal budget before it's anything to talk about, almost no carb, and still a little sweet, though the underlying flavours are big patience is something you forget when kegging. Next bottle Xmas!

Back