How To Tighten A Beer Tap/font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantocks

it's time to step up the BPM
Reaction score
hey guys,

this may sound dumb, but how do I tighten a beer tap to the font? I\'ve got the spanner, but no matter what I do it\'s still loose. I have NO idea how to tighten this thing and I\'ve been mucking around for a fair while now,

any tips or ideas? each time I try and turn the front bit where the spanner clips in, the hose/clamp on the other side of the font start to turn and twist. Meaning I can\'t do anything to tighten it :(
cheers

4811_1.JPG

Can you take the top cap of the font?? You should be able to then put a spanner on the back to hold it tight.

as KHB said the top cap pulls off and there should be a nut behind each post if you got it off fleabay it should have come with a double ended assy spanner-1end "c"spanner for tap other ring spanner for internal nut
Russ

I'm having trouble tightening the taps as I can't get the tool inside the actual tower. I went out and bought some multigrips, but when I try and tighten using the spanner provided, the part inside the tower turns too. I just tried for 40 minutes and cut my hand open and gave up for a bit ;)

my problem is if I leave the beer line off, I can get in there and tighten it all up no problems, but then how would I even get back there to connect the beer line to the back of the tap?

It'd help if I could get in the tower, but it's proving quite difficult as it's a two tap font.

I'm having trouble tightening the taps as I can't get the tool inside the actual tower. I went out and bought some multigrips, but when I try and tighten using the spanner provided, the part inside the tower turns too. I just tried for 40 minutes and cut my hand open and gave up for a bit ;)

my problem is if I leave the beer line off, I can get in there and tighten it all up no problems, but then how would I even get back there to connect the beer line to the back of the tap?

It'd help if I could get in the tower, but it's proving quite difficult as it's a two tap font.

Is it one with the two flow restricting taps if so i had the same problem, you need to get a spanner in the back, trust me it can be done

connect your lines and tighten the nut up by hand.
slide the ring spanner over the line then feed it into the tube
it will slide all the way up into position and then just tighten the nut.
slide it down and do the same on the next one

what if I were to cut a tiny gap out of the spanner so it fit around the beer line ? would it work ??

You could but if its a cheap spanner its likley that it would just spread apart and then you would end up rounding the nut... not good and i wouldnt recomend it

as buddy said turn the font upside down feed the spanner over your beer line with the c end pointing down shake/rattle & roll til it comes out the top of the font or you could buy a flarenut spanner[proper ring spanner with a slot to fit over tube]but this would be an expensive way just to tighten two nuts-unless you buy-use then return for credit :rolleyes:
Russ

Back