How To Make Strong Beer K&k Style...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all im wanting to make a very strong beer,how do i do this,i want me and the boys to have a blinder on it
and get stupid any tips?

King,

A mate of mine loved a Ginger Beer I made, and started brewing his own. He asked the bloke in the HBS and made a kit 23l kit with 3 kilos of dex.

I had one after 3 other tallies and dropped like a sniper had hit me.

InCider

Hi all im wanting to make a very strong beer,how do i do this,i want me and the boys to have a blinder on it
and get stupid any tips?

first question is, what style of beer are you after? this will dictate what ingredients are used.

i'm guessing from your post though that you probably don't care what it tastes like so just throw enough dextrose at it to get the OG up. 1 kilo is the norm for a 5% brew so maybe 3 kilos. you could always add a 2:1 ratio of malt:dextrose if you wanted a maltier beer.

Dark beers (brown ales, porters, stouts) seem to come out better as a stronger K&K beer.

Possibly a stout kit, kilo of DME (or whatever you use), and an extra can of Homebrand Lager.

Better to add an extra can of something with low bitterness/colour (i.e. homebrand lager); adding 2 cans of stout would make it quite bitter, and blacker than the night.

Or you could add another kilo of DME, you don't want to add too much dextrose/sugars to a beer, you'll get cidery flavour and no body otherwise.

Or... both :)

Be careful of what yeast you use too, some yeasts can only handle certain alcohol levels, so you might end up with a premature end to fermentation if you're not careful

2 kits/tins of low bitterness beer concentrate (say, lager - real cheap ones, too) and 2kg dextrose and maybe some honey or other fermentables. LME or DME perhaps?

If drinking soon, add some flavour hops to cover the filthy cheap nasty flavours.

Ferment to completion over 2 or more weeks, with daily rousing of the yeast by swirling the fermentor.

Bottle and drink as soon as they are carbonated. :chug:

Get maggotted, throw up and otherwise enjoy yourself. Then wake up with a splitting headache wondering why on Earth you did it. :party:

Rinse bottles and repeat.

Disclaimer: all processes are optional, except for the regurgitation. :lol:

Seth out :p

Coodgee's Blinder Beer.
(made up right now, never actually done this)

1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers lager
2kg white sugar
1 packet US56 Yeast <-get it from a home brew shop

method:

1. Sanitise everthing extra well. do your normal sanitation routine then do it again to be sure.
2. add both cans of coopers brew and 500g sugar to 4L of boiling water.
3. top up to 23L with as cold as possible water.
4. Wait for temperature of brew to get down under 20 degrees. leave it overnight if you have to. If you have temperature control, set to 17 degrees.
5. When temperature is under 20 degrees pitch US-56 yeast
6. two days after fermentation starts, disolve the rest of the sugar in some warm water (in a sanitised container), allow to cool and add to brew.
7. 4 days later take a gravity reading. If airlock activity is slow/stopped and gravity is above 1015, gently swirl the fermenter to stir it up.
8. continue taking gravity readings till the og gets below 1006, 1001 is best. swirl if necessary.
9. ensure gravity gets to a point where it hasn't moved for 2 days. 3 days if you want to be certain. when you have reached desired gravity, refridgerate fermenter for 7 days. otherwise go to step 10.
10. bottle as normal.
11. give extended maturation time if possible. 1 month should be good.
12. get blind.

total time: 6 weeks.

QUICK METHOD:

1. Sanitise everthing extra well. do your normal sanitation routine then do it again to be sure.
2. add both cans of coopers brew and 2kg sugar to 4L of boiling water.
3. top up to 23L with as cold as possible water.
4. Wait for temperature of brew to get down under 26 degrees.
5. Add US-56 yeast and both sachets of yeast from the kits.
(Be prepared for a fountain of froth to spew from your airlock once fermentation starts).
6. keep temp above 20 degrees. wait for airlock to stop completely and take a gravity reading.
7. next day, take another gravity reading. if gravity has not moved, bottle as normal.
8. test a bottle after one week, and if carbonation is adequate, it's ready to drink.
9. get blind.

TOTAL TIME: 13 days

I am trying T58 yeast which is meant to be good for up to 11.5%. I'm am only aiming at 7% for an xmas & NY special.

Early on I had a crack at it with a Irish Stout and a Sparkling Ale base probably pump it with either an extra kilo of Dextrose and some more Malt, but I have also been told that you can burn the yeast out if you are trying to push the ABV% over 14% or 17% don't know how true that is coz I haven't tried too.

Donnybrook Extra Stout
Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout
1kg Dextrose
500g Coopers Dry Light Malt
Coopers Dark Malt Extract

911 Sparkling Ale
Coopers Premium Sparkling Ale
1kg Dextrose
500g Coopers Dry Light Malt
Coopers Light Malt Extract

Could also look at reducing the amount of water you are using also 20L instead of 23L

Can of coopers stout, a can of coopers dark ale, 500g brown sugar, and both yeasts.
Mix all together, ferment, and wait. 6.8%, and a fantastic stout indeed!
My few remaining bottles are bottled gold. :chug:

Not much point rehydrating that yeast, even pitching only one sachet it goes positively berserk in high gravity wort!

PZ.

For high gravity beers two good rules. If they've been mentioned elsewhere, my apologies, but they're worth re-emphasising.

1. Pitch more yeast. The accepted pitching rate (for ales) of 0.5g/l applies to an OG of around 1048. If you're OG is 1.5 times that then pitch 1.5 times as much yeast.

2. Start the ferment cool. The extra yeast and the extra fermentables will mean an almighty kick-off to the ferment which will lift the temperature naturally. If you let it get too warm too early you will have a fusel factory in your fermenter.

Cheers
(Hic!)
:party:

I made a pilsner up some time back one off the first to get kegged for me and thought i would bulk prime the keg so i just added straigt dry malt to the keg about 3 or 4 time what i needed. (By accident) :excl:

Did not think about it untill i went to pour and it was carb to the sH*t house. the alcohol went up quite a lot to. Two schooners was very good.
But this will ONLY work with a keg dont try it with bottels. BOOM....

'Boozy's Sugarmonster'

Wyeast 3787 belgian
coopers lager kit
2x kilo coopers brewing sugar no2
500 gms brewiser sugar
200gms honey
and about 500gms of liquid malt extract

low temps, camden winter brew.

Started at 11.00, bottled the Sugar Monster at 10.35

This one needs a lot of time for primary and secondary.

In retrospect i'd use stubbies for this one, only longnecks if you plan to share it...

Geez thx heaps,i have a plenty of ideas now,the sugar count puts me off, but hey, i wont need to drink as much so the level of sugar intake per day will be normal. :D

Ive got 5 brews laid down in secondary (bottles) and i wanted to try something stronger or differant and i can do both and if it stuffs up, well hey i wont run out of beer. i hope!!

If it turns out a little crap ill get my mates half pissed on the good brew then bring out the lethal
stuff to give everyone a night to remember.

cheers again kingveebee

p.s i let you know how i go with it

Can of coopers stout, a can of coopers dark ale, 500g brown sugar, and both yeasts.
Mix all together, ferment, and wait. 6.8%, and a fantastic stout indeed!
My few remaining bottles are bottled gold. :chug:

Hey PG - I arrived at the same recipe last winter with 500gm of local honey... k-beautiful. Easy, tasty & strong. Wish I had some left. :blink:

InCider.

Make a decent brew and just double the usual K&K additions.
My favourite is Pale Ale, really a Strong Ale.

1 can Coopers Pale Ale
2 cans Light malt Extract
1 kg Light DME

Needs a good whack of extra hops of choice (Cascade or Goldings are nice) boiled for 15-20 min for flavouring. don't make it too bitter
and it'll be ready for new year

Well over 7% and very, very drinkable

Pitch 2 sachets of yeast.

Latest posts

Back