How to make FG super dry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
I would expect it to get very low with that low starting gravity and over 20% simple sugar.
In his example yes, but you don't have to use sugar to get it under 1.010. Within reason, 7%+ beers can be done with simple grain bills and long low mash schedules.

Pretty much. Yeast selection, oxygenation and temperature can all contribute too.

Saisons aren't a very good comparison because the temperature is much higher and yeast love it.

Sure it can be done but yeast selection and health is critical.

That's true, saison yeast is an unfair comparison, as they eat everything.

I like dry beers, and I like sub 1.010 fg in all my beers, and mash long and low for that with good results for standard strength beers.

Yeast selection and health is always critical IMHO.

I think most things have been covered (except drying enzyme) but I thought I'd share some non-peer-reviewed observations from recent changes I've made.

I bought an O2 kit and yeast nutrient and have been using this on both the stir plate and in my beers. The main driver was for lagers, but for the last 2 brews I've used 10 month out of date yeast. I bought some servomyces nutrient from Nick R in the casules and the process I followed was -
  1. 1.5l of 1.035 wort using DME.
  2. Sprinkle 1/4 of the capsule in the starter prior to boiling
  3. Pure O2 for 20 secs
After a few days on the stir plate the yeast growth was visibly huge.
When brewing, I'd throw the rest of the capsule in the boil and give the wort a good hit with O2

Using 1098 British Ale yeast I made a 1.048 OG Oatmeal stout with expected FG of 1.014. Actual was 1.009.
Using 1728 Scottish Ale I made a 1.077 OG Old Ale with expected FG of 1.017 according to BeerSmith. Actual was 1.014, which was what I was after. It chewed down 63 points in four days from pitching in a 10l batch. I had a mash temp of 68°C with 285g raw sugar in the boil.

Both brews were showing signs of fermentation within 12 hours. This is with 10 month old yeast don't forget, started only.

So my findings are that with some yeast nutrient and O2 to BOTH the wort and the starter it has a huge impact on fermentation time and attenuation. Not to mention yeast count in the starter. Good yeast health and quantity and good conditions for fermentation = good attenuation, along with all the other things that make beer taste better.
I'm a convert anyway and will have to adjust my recipes in the future to get my desired FG. Can't wait to brew my next lager.

Looking back I had a lot of success attaining low gravities with Ringwood 1187, always starters. 1.050 to 1.005 04s couple of 02s. I do 2 or 3 hr mashes at 64 or 65.

Back