How to improve your old man's home brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't encourage them, FFS.

Did you just go meta or did you really not get the joke?

Let the old codger do it his way but next time your there take a stc with you and have a chat about how 'you' use it to control ferment.....then leave it with his brew gear before you leave.
He wont be able to help himself and he'll pull it out and give it a go....if you happen to leave a few packs a decent dry yeast about he may well use them as well.
You need for him to think he has made the decision himself.

Oh yes, 1 day I too will be a cantankerous old fool, set in my ways and unwilling to take on any type of advice.

I am fairly confident that the term "coloured" was last politically correct when it was also politically correct for them to sit up the back of the bus.

bum said:
Did you just go meta or did you really not get the joke?
Of course I did.

Back on topic..My dad is 65 lives in Cairns and has been brewing KK for years. When I discovered AG and told him about it he was very excited to learn all about it and started with BIAB then onto a 2V system. He loves the way his beers now taste and said he wished he had done it years ago. So I think if you were to just steer him a little bit that way he might take it up. A bit of gentle persuasion perhaps.

Your dad is a champ, a techie and tinkerer, he is awesome :)
I've had had a few very nice cold ones at his', a special standout, his ginger beer.

PS: re old coffin dodger, give him a big tub of dme and a bottle of hop extract. It's not iso hops, last I heard. When up there, make a batch, dissolve malt extract and add drops of extract and ferment with decent yeast.

Actually, take along a bit of that new dry saison yeast. That alone might boost his beer out of the sky.

That's nice of you to say PF. He always spoke highly of you too and appreciated your brewing advice.

Chinamatt why dont you just make fresh worts for him and send them up to Darwin a couple of times a year with some dry yeast packs and tell him to ferment in a bath of water for an experiment. He wont have to do any work at all, just pour the wort into a fermenter , sprinkle yeast and leave for 2 weeks.
It might cost you a bit of freight but hes your old man for fucks sake. Lol

carniebrew said:
What a brilliant post. And an admirable end game! Surely a brew fridge and good stock of US-05 yeast would be high on the agenda. Full extract brewing is not really an option, it's a 3-4 hour process end to end, with timed hop additions and the like....so I'd start with the fridge and US-05 yeast...will make a huge difference no?
Man, I must be rushing it...

I wonder how old the oldest AHB member is ?? I'm 70 and trying to learn BIAB so get him to join up:)

Some good suggestions here. I'm currently of the mind that the best thing to do is just to introduce some sort of improvement. If there's some acceptance after that, then it opens the door to fancier stuff like proper extract brewing.

I was thinking while up there, basically whipping up some sort of combo extract, tin of something, coopers extract can, finishing hops. Not sure about steeping grains. Pitching a decent yeast, swamp cooling if necessary. Then letting him see how it turns out. I can go back to the idea of sending him a wort kit if that doesn't work.

Mmm Danstar saison yeast. Interesting. It can't be the same strain as Wy3724... they talk about how it finishes fast and they don't talk about temperature much. Probably the one that's sold as a French saison?

Have you ever thought that sometimes parents deliberately live long distances from their children so they don't get told how to do things :lol:

Back to the challenge:
I would almost rule out DME in Darwin as I would imagine that it would be like one big rock after storage through a wet season.
I would say that you either fork out for some FWK's and send to him or make some yourself but of course only after you get him a fermenting fridge and a controller to manage fermentation.

It is extremely difficult to change someone from the K & K instructions that they have been following for years, particularly when it is going to cost them more money. :unsure:

Good luck, let us all know how you go.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back