How to get a creamier porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey doooods, so I've made a few porters and I wouldn't mind trying to make it a bit creamier but I'm not sure how, is it a yeast thing or grain? I was drinking the James squire porter on tap the other night and it's just got a great creamy taste happening , compared to the porters I've made.

Creamier mouthfeel could come from reducing your carbonation or yeast selection to give a less dry beer.
Reducing or removing some of the more bitter grains will also help as will the introduction of oats or lactose

What porters have you made so far?

sp0rk said:
Pubgas probably helps, they'll be on a nitrogen/co2 mix
Agree - try if from the bottle to get an idea of what the pub gas brings.

Recipes you've made so far? Include processes, mash temps, statistics, fermentation schedule, yeast, etc.
Could be anything from mash temp to yeast choice to addition of other ingredients.

I may sound crazy but why don't we use pub gas as a dispenser? When I was with linde gas we sold just as much co2 as nitro enriched and just nitro sometimes to certain pubs.

Pilchard said:
I may sound crazy but why don't we use pub gas as a dispenser? When I was with linde gas we sold just as much co2 as nitro enriched and just nitro sometimes to certain pubs.
Blasphemer. Next you'll be suggesting that sparklers are a good thing

(although a guiness or murphys properly served at the right temperature with nitro mix, preferably in Ireland with the craic kicking off, is a thing of beauty)

Hey dood don't shoot the delivery boy. I'm on co2 and the old boss actually asked why I didn't want beer gas... Nitro. I couldn't answer him but have had no issues with the co2. That's what you guys use so I did too, I haven't had a problem with it just asking if nitro would work just as well. There has to be a reason clubs use it.

Cheers

Also some lactose may help give creamier mouthfeel 200g. You can also try adding a bit of wheat to help with head retention

Mr. No-Tip said:
Add 10% dried and then reboiled peas to your mash.
Is this for real? If so, do you know why?

Pubs primarily use beer gas so that they can run much higher pressures to run the incredibly long beer lines without over carbing the beers. Nitrogen will help push the beer but won't go into solution very readily, so the percentage of CO2 in the mix will maintain carbonation.

Hey doooods, so I've made a few porters and I wouldn't mind trying to make it a bit creamier but I'm not sure how, is it a yeast thing or grain?
If your not kegging (therefore gas choices) some lactose would help as suggested.
cheers

Mash temp higher
Don't use any simple sugar adjuncts
Use grains that gives body, CaraPils and CaraHell, even some Flaked Barley
Add rolled oats
Add Lactose
Use a less attenuating yeast
Keep the CO2 levels low
Serve it warmer

That is very cool. What are blue boiling peas? Was it "chewy" as well as creamy?

Latest posts

Back