How to get a creamier porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll dig up the recipe when I get back to Aus next week. I probably wouldn't repeat the recipe as an SHV because of the lack of flavour, but maybe as a "cream substitute" strategy. I'd need to do it at least once more to truly suggest causation I guess!

I've had limited experience drinking beers with lactose and haven't brewed with it - but when I tried beer with it, I actually thought it left a slightly weird mouthfeel. This probably isn't the best way to describe it but I thought it felt a tad oily... or at the very least, weird - not the same as a nitro guinness/kilkenny which I feel are smooth due to the creamy head or some porters which have more body.

I will be playing around with oats and other stuff but not lactose.

Hi pat,

As others have explained, its going to be hard to get something like what you get from a nitro tap and grain choice will play a big part in this.

A note on the lactose though, the beers you've tried might have used too much. Try 50g or 100g which will make a difference but wont have a risk of overpowering or making it oily. A little bit of chocolate grain might help as well (color and smell have a big affect on how we percieve taste)

be brave and give it a try ;)

Back