how to get 1.01 FG on a full bodied helles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactaphonic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering brewing the helles recipe linked below but am puzzled how the original brewer could have got the final gravity so low.

Sitzung Helles - Gold Medal for Light Lager at 2012 NHC Homebrewer of the Year

Some points:
  • the original gravity is 1.051
  • the final gravity is 1.010
  • the mash temp is 68 Celsius (full bodied)
  • yeast used is Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager (75% attenuation
I have a tough time getting a light bodied, low mash temperature beer from 1.051 to 1.010 let alone a full bodied beer. Also Beersmith predicts a FG of 1.015.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the FG down to 1.01?

Obviously, the yeast has gone past predicted attenuation Galactaphonic. I get this with US05 which typically goes to 80% but the stats say 77%. Healthy pitch of a good quality yeast is what I think does it.

Good oxygenation and a really big pitch of fresh, healthy yeast.

You could cheat and add in 10 mins at 63 before bumping to 68.

Forget the gravity prediction tool in beersmith. Might as well ask the cat.

Agree with manticle...Beersmith predictions are, well, different from what we may expect. All BS predictions are relevant to attenuation settings in your software. With the right conditions many yeasts perform on the high side of their attenuation figures.

I have been experimenting with this style and pilseners in general and I have noted that some of those German lager yeasts quite often will continue to work on the wort if I place it in a cube and lager it in a fridge for an extended period.
Many times I have observed that it will drop another couple of points of gravity over time.

I have not tried it with the Munich Lager yeast but it has worked for me with Wy2001. 34/70 dry and S189

I have also found that the Bavarian Lager yeast will leave a lot of body in the beer even from low mash temps.

It is important that the yeast gets a good start with adequate oxygen being available in the wort.

Brew it with your best practices and see how you go with it. The recipe sounds interesting.

manticle said:
You could cheat and add in 10 mins at 63 before bumping to 68.

Forget the gravity prediction tool in beersmith. Might as well ask the cat.

Am I right in thinking that Beersmith doesn't change its gravity prediction at all when you alter your mash temps/steps?

EDIT: And if so, does Beersmith just predict gravity by assuming mash temp is at some mid-range level?

BS seems to take into account both the expected attenuation for the yeast and the mash schedule to some degree (although I not sure how it handles step mashes). However there are too many factors at play for it to accurately predict your FG. I have made the recipe you speak of and used the following schedule 55/5', 63/20', 68/40', 72/20' and got an apparent attenuation of 74.5% (from 1.053 down to 1.013).

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Even though the Beersmith FG calcualtions are flaky, it sounds to me that getting the beer down to 1.010 would be tricky - particularly if the only factor at play is trying to improve the fermentation.

I think I'll adjust the mash temp down or perhaps use a more attenuative yeast (maybe WLP830).

Latest posts

Back