How To "fix" An Infected Honey Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmeister70

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I made a beer using a couple of Black Rock cans, some crystal malt, extra hops and finally, 500ml of honey. While making the beer, I had a few (as you do) and decided that a quick blast in the microwave would be enough to pasteurize the honey (both cans were steeped for 30mins in 80*C water).

This seemed like a good idea at the time, but when the honey expanded and threatened to make a dreadful mess in my girlfriend's microwave, I decide to take my chances and add it after 30 seconds on high only...

There was a big of a tang to the beer at racking plus it didn't clear. The orama/ flavour hops faded and now it tastes Belgian (though I can live with this)!

What are some ideas that have worked for people in the past to rectify a funky brew? This beer was meant to take pride of place at our housewarming, unfortunately <_<

Brewmeister70 said:
What are some ideas that have worked for people in the past to rectify a funky brew? This beer was meant to take pride of place at our housewarming, unfortunately <_<

Sorry mate, its a Norwegian Blue, shuufled off, its screwed.
I do though doubt that the honey was the problem, honey is not a good medium for the sort of infections we are likely to get in beer (remember it has already to a greater or lesser extent been "processed") and with a SG of like mega no bacteria is going to survive in it.
Rather than try and save an already drowned batch make another quick time, really clean everything, forget if you choose, the honey and use shirt load of yeast..at least 1gm per litre
Trust me

K

Brewmeister - I steer clear of the blackrock cans - they are tins of infection for me. As for the honey, I just toss it in. Never thought to pasteurise it!

InCider.

InCider said:
Brewmeister - I steer clear of the blackrock cans - they are tins of infection for me. As for the honey, I just toss it in. Never thought to pasteurise it!

InCider.

Hey, Incider
Were your cans, like, infected before you opened them and how long did it take to clean all that sticky extract up...wow with a n experience like that I would steer clear as well !! :D

The tang sounds more like the tin than the honey.

I've made a few meads and never done anything to the honey apart for bung it in and aerate it well. Come to think of it, that's what I've done with a couple of honey beers as well.

As to saving a brew from the funk ? No ideas on that one I'm afraid. If you can pass it off as a type of Belgian go for it.

Don't yield to the sunk cost fallacy.
If it's infected and you don't like it, you won't enjoy drinking it. Toss it and make another one.

MFS.

Thanks for the in put, guys. I had some more last night and weened the g/f on it and she doesn't mind it. Hmmmm.... :chug: There is still some use for this pseudo Belgian if they all decide to have a get together before the housewarming.

The Black rock cans have worked well for me in the past except I learned to pitch a different yeast (the last 2 had Saffale and US-56 in).

I'd better hop to it and start planning the next one!

Latest posts

Back