How To: Drill Hole For Element - Ss Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TL,
the wd40 will do the trick ok, just keep re-applying it as you cut because it will dry off fairly quick. Just spray it liberally at the cutter teeth as you are cutting( or get someone else to help you). Keep the cutting speed slow to medium and the apply firm even pressure and you'll cut through it in about a minute. The holesaw you have will work more than just once if its a good brand. As long as you dont abuse it, you should be able to use it several times on stainless steel kegs as they are only fairly thin anyway.

good luck, but you wont need it.

vlbaby.

TL,

Use coolant, even some kero is better than nothing. I have heard that milk can be used at a pinch but you will need someone to squirt it while you drill.

FWIW I picked up a 22mm (reduced shank) drill bit for $15 - and it has worked more than once.

i constantly drill 22mm holes at work using a uni bit it from 4 mm to 22mm they are epensive new but work well and are safe and get a can of cdt cutting oil you just keep spraying it on and it works well at work i have access to a tittanmium unibit so it easy for me

I use my uni-bit all the time, when it went missing for a week i almost died, never knew i needed it so much.

I drilled the holes with a sutton hole saw ~$70 for the cutter and the bit you need to attatch it to the drill, but with the cutting fluid and slow it was easy as!

thanks for the help

Thanks for the advice guys...

I plan on using the 14.4v Metabo Cordless drill so I can keep the speed down to under 100rpm.

Regarding the built in arbor - am I correct in assuming that it drills the pilot hole and thus helps keep the hole saw from skating around the place?

Batz is kindly helping me out with some cutting compound so I'm running out of excuses not to do it - oh, and with no malt extract and with 4 bags of grain in the brewery, I'm rapidly running down on stock!!

TL

its ok :)

my cutting tool have the drill bit in the middle that stops it moving about... slow and cutting fluid and its easy work!

Yeah, I just gotta remember to have beers AFTER I cut the hole, not before!!

you have it correct tl.its a pilot drill and it does stop the holesaw jumping around.take it out and try it on a scrap bit of steel. ;) its there for a reason as you mentioned.

cheers
big d

trough lolly, yes you are correct. use a slow even pressure when drilling steel. esp into ss,you obviously dont have the reckomended cutting lube (steady boys) so use a light oil or if all you have is engine oil use it liberaly dont let the drill bit start making agonising noises and dont let the drill bit discolour if,when it does it becomes blunt and useless.

I took the lid off my keg and have created most of my tap hole today - I was extremely hesitant with the angle grinder, but managed it fairly easily. Damn loud, but easy enough and only used approximately 1/3 of a 4" disc.

The tap hole was incredibly easy. All this talk of hours of cutting, I was literally though in 5 seconds with a 4mm drill. I then used a couple of larger drills up to my maximum of about 12mm.

Time to visit Bunnings for a drill bit large enough to fit my 1/2" tap through. Sosman's quoted 22mm so that'll be my benchmark I guess.

NRB if there was a competition for the best avatar I think you would win it .
Pumpy

After the fellas at work sorted out my SS kettle theres still a strong smell of cutting oil and I'm having trouble getting rid of it. I've washed it with metho about 4 times and it still reeks.

Not long now 'til easter ....mega brew w/e!!!! I better get my sh@# together and clean that sucker.

Use TSP (sugar soap) to dissolve the grease. Also call its maiden brew SAE 50 or something like that. You will have people asking how you got the authentic motor oil character.

NRB don't quote me on 22mm it might be 21 and you don't want it bouncing around like a pair of anime tits. Measure your nipple (if it will stay still long enough) to get your size.

First time using the multi-quote function and it looks the goods.

Pumpy said:
NRB if there was a competition for the best avatar I think you would win it

Hmm, I've never had so many people comment an avatar of mine before; perhaps I should change it?

sosman said:
NRB don't quote me on 22mm it might be 21 and you don't want it bouncing around like a pair of anime tits. Measure your nipple (if it will stay still long enough) to get your size

Always the joker Paul! I couldn't find a bit at Bunnings for less than $54 so might have to look at other sources. Possibly an engineering shop or a fellow Melbournite. I'm not paying $50+ to cut 2 holes in my kegs - I could pay someone that much to plasma cut the lid off and weld on a bush! :angry:

NRB, another way, more time consuming however, is to mark out your 22m diameter, drill holes all around the edge, knock out the middle bit, then neaten up the hole with a round file or a grinding stone in the drill. Conical shape ones work well.

BigAl said:
NRB, another way, more time consuming however, is to mark out your 22m diameter, drill holes all around the edge, knock out the middle bit, then neaten up the hole with a round file or a grinding stone in the drill. Conical shape ones work well.
[post="47368"][/post]​

Yep, or quicker and cheaper just start filing the 12 mm hole. Start with a small round ******* (ie rat tail file) and work up to a half round *******. Seriously thats how I did all mine and it didnt take as long as you would think. Files are way cheaper than drill bits. I wore hearing protection though.

Or I could take it to work and use my handpieces. Nothing like a diamond coated shank spinning at 500,000rpm :D Will take a long time though. I was thinking about postage stamping the outline and joining the dots...

One way or the oterh, this thing's getting done by the weekend - I want to fire up the NASA burner!

NRB,
I don't want to get too anal about measurements, but I think you might want to err on the side of caution and use a 21mm cut, not 22...

All of my fittings are the same size as you intend to use and they are all quoted in metric as 21mm openings. Its easier to deal with an opening that's too narrow, than too wide. Just a thought.

Cheers,
TL

NRB said:
I couldn't find a bit at Bunnings for less than $54 so might have to look at other sources.
[post="47360"][/post]​

FJ's in bayswater has them for $15 - they are noname chinese but I have drilled a few holes with it and I reckon they are decent quality. The key is lots of lubricating oil and make sure the bit is cutting, not rubbing.

Get a 21mm and use a round file or whatever to get it up to size.

You could just drop around my place and use my stuff.

cheers

Latest posts

Back