How To Connect 4mm Beer Line To Panel Extension Olive And Nut.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsawyer

Reaction score
What was i trying to do?
Connect 4mm beer line to the back of a Panel Extension which has a 5mm Olive and Nut assembly. The Olive and Nut assemblies for these i believe only come in 2 sizes, 6mm (for 6mm lines) and 5mm (for 5mm and 4mm lines).

Well it looks impossible. How the heck can you get that little beer line onto the Olive, like trying to put a Pool Table into the boot of a Mini.

After loosing skin and getting blisters, and from some new advice and new energy, a mate of mine Simon and i decided this was going to be it.

Ingredients:
  • Panel Extension
  • Stove Top
  • Pot of boiling water, on high boil (don't use the kettle)
  • Vaseline
  • Stubby phillips screwdriver that Olive will fit over
Ingredients.jpg

Method:
  • Boil water, (optionally add salt to increase boiling temp)
  • Prepare olive by ensuring you put a bit of vaseline on it and place it the correct way on the screwdriver
  • Hold end of beer line in pot of boiling water for at least 20 seconds (it will go clear)
  • Push down and over screwdriver and olive.
PutItOn.jpg ItsOn.jpg
Nut.jpg Finished.jpg

Done.

So easy once you know how. I think you could probably skip the vaseline if you got the right everything else working.

I think you could probably skip the vaseline if you got the right everything else working.

Yep, I do it a similar way, but only hot tap water and no vaso...oh, and I use the arse-end of an ice cream scoop to push it in...dodgy, but it works :lol:

PZ.

*edit* - oh, I just noticed you put the olives in the wrong way around...it'll be ok though ;)

Hi Tom

Just wondering where you got the 5mm olives from ??

Cheers
JSB

Yep, I've skinned knuckles that way too :p

Instead of a screwdriver I used a long thin bolt and nut, did the same job. Anything you can lean hard on against a wall.

Another handy tip is to flare the end of the line very slightly by pushing it over the end of a pair of long-nose pliers. Even a tiny bit of a flare makes it much easier to get over the first hurdle.

Same for QD barbs too.

Hi Tom

Just wondering where you got the 5mm olives from ??

Cheers
JSB

GMK Supplied - Came with the panel extensions. But i believe you can buy them from any commercial supplier who will sell to you. Like Andale. www.andale.com.au

A trick I learned from Chris at Grain and Grape is to use a pair of circlip pliers (see pic). The ones that open outwards. You soak the hose, shove the nose of the pliers in, the push the pliers and stretch the hose. :blink:

Warren -

unbranded_external_circlip_pliers.jpg

Back