Beer Line Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys are running larger beer & gas line than the common 5mm id x 8mm od.
I picked up another A type coupler today that had gas line connected to the snaplok fittings that had 10mm od & I assume this would be 6mm id. Looks better & obviously less restrictive than the smaller line. Pressures would be different as would line length so whose using the larger line & why. I'm setting up a 50L portable rig using commercial fittings so looking at the larger lines.

Likely ~7mm OD. This will have approximately 1/4 the flow resistance per unit length* that the 5mm ID line will have so if you are relying on the line to provide some pressure equalisation that will need to be taken into account. Commonly used commercially where the run from keg to tap may be 50 metres or more so the lower resistance is very helpful**.

* I know that will be surprising to many so here's the justification: According to the Hagen Poiseuille equation, pressure loss in a pipe with laminar flow is proportional to viscosity, length and flow rate and inversely proportional to the fourth power of inside diameter. 0.74 is roughly 0.25.

** In what now seems like a former life, back in the 80's I helped install the draught delivery systems in the first craft beer pubs in Melbourne.

I use 6mm line for my picnic tap (when I use it) because I particularly don't want any resistance

Ditto I came across some 6mm ID stuff at the "right price" so I went with it.

Line length is about 5 metres though (not sure exactly).

Latest posts

Back