How To Clean Beer Lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is pretty much exactly what I did:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=60605

Except I used Firestone bits as chi was out of the Cornelius ones, and the end result is the same. I only used 4" or so of the grey hose so the liquid post is close to the handle, but with warm fluids the hose folds over under the disconnects weight. Wrapping a few times in PVC tape fixed that!
Ahh, sweet :)

Ahh, sweet :)

I thought I took some more photos of the construction, but alas did not (probably because they were pointless ;))

Anyway,

Here is a pic of the finished item

IMG_3129.jpg

And here is one showing a closeup of the retro-fitted pvc tape which stiffens the tube and makes it so it doesn't collapse when pumping warm fluid!

IMG_3305.jpg

I'd really caution against leaving any sodium hyrdoxide based product (is that what starsan is) in the lines overnight. I'd limit to no more than 2 hours.

I've been part of a research project for using multiple enzymes in breweries, one application is beer lines. Beerlines like many cold dark sugar rich environments are havens for biofilm. Biofilm form a primary attach point for bacteria and protein, hence the removal in the circuit increases cleaning efficacy.

Sadly, the caustic cleaners do not remove biofilm sufficiently (biofilm actually react but toughning thier outer layer and become more resistant to removal), hence you may remove some of the biofilm and what is clinging to it, but not the majority.

So, the caustics do a job, but not a very good one.

Scotty

I'd really caution against leaving any sodium hyrdoxide based product (is that what starsan is) in the lines overnight. I'd limit to no more than 2 hours.

I've been part of a research project for using multiple enzymes in breweries, one application is beer lines. Beerlines like many cold dark sugar rich environments are havens for biofilm. Biofilm form a primary attach point for bacteria and protein, hence the removal in the circuit increases cleaning efficacy.

Sadly, the caustic cleaners do not remove biofilm sufficiently (biofilm actually react but toughning thier outer layer and become more resistant to removal), hence you may remove some of the biofilm and what is clinging to it, but not the majority.

Scotty
What would you suggest to use Scotty to clean and sterilise?
Cheers
BBB

Scotty

No, it's not a sodium Hydroxide product - STAR SAN is a high foaming, acid anionic, no-rinse sanitizer. It's a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. This synergistic blend provides a unique synergistic system that is unaffected by excessive organic soils. STAR SAN is also a self-foaming acid anionic detergent. It can be applied through a foamer to produce self-adhering foam or manual application. Cleaning with STAR SAN on a daily basis will leave equipment in an acid condition that will eliminate water spotting, mineral build-up, and corrosion. It is not recommended to use STAR SAN on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product.

Why go to the trouble of a detailed reply that's just going to leave people confused. Takes a minute to look the product up ;)

cheers Ross

I'd really caution against leaving any sodium hyrdoxide based product (is that what starsan is) in the lines overnight. I'd limit to no more than 2 hours

Scotty

I think Starsan is phophoric acid but I will be corrected if wrong. :huh:

Cheers

Edit; Ross beat me to the post

What would you suggest to use Scotty to clean and sterilise?
Cheers
BBB

I use an multi-enzyme cleaner, its expensive at $45 a litre but you use in a 1:50 mix. Caustics work, but are bit like trying to scrub of something with a scourer vs wash cloth. But the advise from Beer Pulmber folks is not to overnight soak. The affects are etching and degradation of the beer lines.

Scotty

After reading all of this, I am just going to spend a few dollars and replace my beer lines.

I use an multi-enzyme cleaner, its expensive at $45 a litre but you use in a 1:50 mix. Caustics work, but are bit like trying to scrub of something with a scourer vs wash cloth. But the advise from Beer Pulmber folks is not to overnight soak. The affects are etching and degradation of the beer lines.

Scotty

So what you really meant was don't leave PBW in the lines overnight? Or does that not count as a caustic?

Sodium Percarbonate & Metasilicate as far as I know

If someone were to use a multi-enzyme cleaner as a beer line cleaner, would the approach be me cleaner, rinse, acid rinse? or is it different? do you still need some sort of caustic cleaner as well? perhaps after the biofilms have been eaten away?

Percarbonates I think are fine, much gentler, but the most common used commercial products are 2 part solutions with one part being caustic. They come under a few monikers, Bracton is the most common.

But with the enzymes, no caustic afterwards, you technically do not need to rinse, it can be flushed with beer and as is non-toxic.

Scotty

Soak them in Coke-a-Cola... Its mosty phos acid, and cheap :lol:

Latest posts

Back