How soon to dry hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a Coopers Cascarillo ale in the fermenter on Saturday, lag time was low and by Sunday morning there was a healthy krausen and it was fermenting away happily, the rate of bubbling out of the airlock has slowed to about one bubble every four seconds, it says in the recipe to dry hop on day 4 but will dry hopping when I've got this level of airlock activity have any detrimental effects?

Warning: Noob opinion.
It won't have any particularly bad effect, just the CO2 coming out of the wort will "scrub" out some of the hops aroma & you'll lose a bit of the impact of the hops. I'd wait an extra day or 2, say day 7, so the aroma will stay in the beer.
Good luck!

(fwiw, this should be valid in all areas of perth :D )

technobabble66 said:
Warning: Noob opinion.
It won't have any particularly bad effect, just the CO2 coming out of the wort will "scrub" out some of the hops aroma & you'll lose a bit of the impact of the hops. I'd wait an extra day or 2, say day 7, so the aroma will stay in the beer.
Good luck!

(fwiw, this should be valid in all areas of perth :D )
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a few more days and wait for things to settle down a bit before dry hopping.

Back