How Or What Do You Pour Into With A 750m Bottle ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer&Kebab

Reaction score
I am wondering what to do about the 2nd glass (the 2nd pour) of a 750m bottle being yeasty sludge.
I sometimes pour into 2 glasses (I use 425m glasses) and put one in the fridge whilst working through the other.. By the time I get to the 2nd it is flat and unappealing. I have lots of 750m bottles and they are great from a storage, less time bottling point of view over stubbies.. Any opinions ideas would be great..

I just cork it and put it back in the fridge until I'm finished the first schooner.

With a proper finning techinque you don't end up with lots of yeast at the bottom , mine have a thin film of yeast which mostly doesn't even stir up on the second pour.
But then this does require extra work & time.

Lagers

pour one full pint, drink it at my leisure, then pour the remaining into the glass. yeast is minimal but does cloud up the second pour a bit. I don't get a lot of sediment in the bottle and that helps...OR use my 1l stein. the problem with that is its only half full :D

With a proper finning techinque you don't end up with lots of yeast at the bottom , mine have a thin film of yeast which mostly doesn't even stir up on the second pour.
But then this does require extra work & time.

Lagers

This is what I figured.. So I am best off just boittling in stubbies..

I bought a jug. I do the full pour into the jug avoiding any of the sediment that may get stirred up, by pouring with a light source behind the bottle.

I then enjoy the first glass, put the jug in the fridge, and find the second keeps very well if the missus doesn't get to it.

Works for me anyway, Cheerz Wabster

I bought a jug. I do the full pour into the jug avoiding any of the sediment that may get stirred up, by pouring with a light source behind the bottle.

I then enjoy the first glass, put the jug in the fridge, and find the second keeps very well if the missus doesn't get to it.

G'day Wab, you obviously survived Melbourne odyssey !

Jug if going to impress people (or I know the beer is overcarbed - then I pour beer away from guests eyesight)

If by myself, who gives a fig ! Unless the yeast in the glass will affect rhe flavour, I use the HTFU principle. If I wanted crystal clear beer, I'd get a filter or buy megaswill.

Or if I'm drinking warm temp beer (eg English ales) just get the big glass out !

Ian_004.jpg

You really need to make sure you have your beers in the fridge chillin for at least 3-4 days to drop the yeast out more and it will generally just stick to the bottom of the bottle...

Just pour carefully your first glass and sit the longy back in the fridge, your second pour should be clear also, maybe other than the last tiny bit of beer may have a little yeast roused up in it... ;)

I am wondering what to do about the 2nd glass (the 2nd pour) of a 750m bottle being yeasty sludge.
I sometimes pour into 2 glasses (I use 425m glasses) and put one in the fridge whilst working through the other.. By the time I get to the 2nd it is flat and unappealing. I have lots of 750m bottles and they are great from a storage, less time bottling point of view over stubbies.. Any opinions ideas would be great..

There is a pouring apparatus usually up to 300 mill. in height, and made of glass, often used for the situation you describe.
It`s called "a jug" :rolleyes:

stagga.

sounds to me like the problem is not with the pour - but with the speed of the drinking :beerbang:

Seriously though - I generally just pour into a jug and let it sit while I drink a glass - never had a problem with it going flat. That said, SWMBO generally helps me out with the other glass, so it is not that often that I have one sitting there.

Like cleanbrewer said - if you sit the bottles in the fridge 3-4 days prior to consumption, the yeast generally sticks to the bottom pretty well, so as long as you are fairly gentle with the pour you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

if you wanted something consistant - you could always just go the roll (like a coopers) and make the whole thing cloudy.

Brendo

I pour the first glass, drink at my leisure, then pour second glass.
Repeat as necessary, its called kegging.

Seriously though.
When drinking from a 750ml I just pour and drink first glass leaving remainder in fridge until needed. If you do the first pour reasonably gently you wont stir it up much if at all, and the second glass pours the same as if you were decanting to a jug.

Use a glass of at least 500 ml.
Pour about 300 mil into the glass, carefully, so as not to disturb the yeast layer on the bottom. Slowly right the bottle and put in fridge on the shelf (not in the door, as you'll slosh it about).
Drink the first 300 mil.
Then pour the rest into your glass, and you should have minimal yeast, if any.

I pour my two litre PET into a three litre jug, which yields three pint glasses plus a bit of a top up.

+1 nice cold glass jug

OR YOU COULD HTFU! :eek:) nowt wrong with yeasty sludge!

But it`s a really simple answer, isn`t it.
I`m truly amazed someone would ask a question like that. I mean, you wouldn`t have to think about it to long before you saw the solution, would you. :(

stagga.

Back