How Much Zest For A Wit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that bconnery, thats a handy bloody article, some old stuff, some new, nice concise intro to brewing wit though. Sounds like the nutmeg is a no-go, if I really have to satisfy my curiosity, I'll shave a little into a glass before pouring and see how it tastes :rolleyes:

Beers

Dave

Thanks for that bconnery, thats a handy bloody article, some old stuff, some new, nice concise intro to brewing wit though. Sounds like the nutmeg is a no-go, if I really have to satisfy my curiosity, I'll shave a little into a glass before pouring and see how it tastes :rolleyes:

Beers

Dave

I've used nutmeg in a christmas brew and I would say yes, avoid it in a wit.
It works well with other spices, but I wouldn't say a wit was the place for it.

Take a listen to the Witbier special on the Jamil show if you have time. FWIW, just finished my second ever AG witbier. The first one I zested two oranges (in 28L) and, although the orange flavour was noticable, I thought it needed more. This time I used 4 oranges and am much happier with the result. It is a personal thing however.

Good move with the chamomile flowers too!

Cheers,
Michael.

Some brewers also use mandarin peel instead of orange. Personally... not for me, thanks.

IMHO, the orange flavour should come from the dosage of fresh-crushed coriander. I use up to 40g per addition in a 23l batch.
With oranges, I usually just skin one with a potato peeler and toss it in while fresh. Valencia is preferred over navel.

Please feel free to search Witbier and my name. Should help you link to quite a few articles (not necessarily for my comments alone).

Cheers & out
Les the Weizguy

Back