How Many Generations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd Generation, my father brewed K&K for years but stopped before I started.

How was his beer??? I hope you saved a bottle! What a wonderful way to cheers your pop!

I didn't mind it, just basic K&K and he made it mid strength (500g cane sugar). The interesting part is that the system was so 'broken in'. Even his bottles had internal yeast deposits all over, just kinda looked like water spots on a car but they were presumably bits of yeast on the inside. Didn't affect the taste negatively.

Had to keep it going otherwise my Nanna wouldn't have anything to drink haha. Well other than the cask red in the fridge...

My pop was more into Scotch but liked his home brew. Had a routine going where he had two tallies a day, just with lunch I think.

I gave him my bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label a few weeks before he passed. I brought it down to drink with him but he was on anti biotics so couldn't drink, so I said to hold on to it for the next time I came down but the bugger drank it and then died! Haha. A fitting way to go.

1st generation! I am the pioneer brewer in my family. My old man distilled spirit (shyte cant mention that here :ph34r: ) years after I started brewing.
Short story is: my mother in law gave me a HB kit one xmas. Divorced her daughter, mother in law now out of life - kept on brewing B) :lol:

I'm a third generation homebrewer sort of.

My mum tells me, Grandad used to ferment beer and ginger beer in old kerosene tins in their lean to laundry, apparently he would scavenge yeast from the old Tooths brewery in Newcastle.

I started brewing kits in the late 80's and got both my father and father in law interested. It led to some pretty toxic family get togethers.

cheers

grant

im 3rd, both my grandfathers brewed, the one on mums side brewed back home (the seychelles islands) from scratch, sterilized using nothing more than boiling water and brewed in a few washtubs with lids woven from palm fronds, i still wish he could remember what he used ingredient wise. it would be perfect for brissies weather at the moment ( stinking hot like back home). my dads side, my grandfather (or poppy as i knew him) who recently passed away learnt to brew in WWII from one of his mates who was also in 12st signals, but then never really had the tim after that till he retired in 1974 from the post office. then he passed one brewing to my dad who brewed up until i was about 6 with one of his pommy mates who like to drink home brew 2 days after it was bottled. he gave it away not long after he realised that by the time it was decent to drink there'd be about 5-6 tallies left after his mates got through them.
then i picked it up last year after a mate of mine got me to try some of his stout and ran through the whole "making good drinking beer vs. making cheap plonk" and convinced me to give it a crack. and where i get round to using the odd crown ie seal (as i use mostly grolsh swingtops) i still have my popps old hand capped that he started with.

Back