How Many Generations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st gen, my parents didn't drink, my grandfather drank beer. Had my first beer at 16 the day my grandfather died.

1st, 2nd or 3rd. You be the judge: My grandfather owned a homebrewing kit (fermenter etc) which he passed on to my dad. Neither of them used it. My father in law brews kits, and bought me a Coopers kit one birthday or christmas... can't remember which. They created a monster.

2nd gen here. My dad and uncle used to make some real stinkers that would gush up to the kitchen ceiling. That had me fascinated from around the age of 10. :blink:

Warren -

2nd gen here. My dad and uncle used to make some real stinkers that would gush up to the kitchen ceiling. That had me fascinated from around the age of 10. :blink:

Warren -

That doesn't count! Brewing infections is not real brewing? :icon_drool2: :icon_drunk: :ph34r:

3rd +

Can't tell how many without some genealogy - but someone had to have taught my grandfather, and I would guess his dad. Finns even malt + kiln grain in the family sauna as one of its auxiliary uses.

3rd, although my Dad and Granddad did far more wine and spirits than beer. Dad loves my brew, we're working together to do a whiskey mash soon.

2nd Gen for me dad did brew for a bit but by all accounts it tasted like shit so went back to buying beer not he says that there is no point in brewing again cos he can just nab my beer

I am second generation (kinda) - apparently my grandfather homebrewed - my Dad doesn't.

However, there is every chance next year that I will become a third generation homebrewer as Dad is seriously thinking about giving it a shot - so we will just have to wait and see...

Brendo

Great grandfather did all-grain, not sure what sort of gear he used though.

Technically 2nd gen since I recall as a kid my dad fermented his K&K in the dunny!

3rd Generation, though the old man brewed in garbage bins in Uni days, so not sure if that qualifies as "brewing"... :p

my dad was telling me that my grandpa used to brew AG on his farm but my dad doesn't brew at all although he is quite happy to take a few bottles of stout off my hands :icon_cheers:

unfortunately my grandpa died quite a few years before i was old enough to enjoy a brew so never got to talk to him about the home brew setup.

:icon_offtopic: he is on my list of "people i would share a beer with", next to my uncle john who was killed in a truck accident.

so what generation does that make me cause it kinda skipped one.

incidentally my best friend is related to James Squire

crazy

Cheers
Carty

3rd Generation, though the old man brewed in garbage bins in Uni days, so not sure if that qualifies as "brewing"... :p

when my dads mates farm was in danger of going under one year (one of many) they tightened their belts on beer money, so he brewed his own in a bin.

not sure how it tasted.

where there is a will there is a way!

Second gen my father passed when i was 7 but apparently he brewed kit beers.

2nd gen here.
My old man used to brew ginger beer from scratch using the ginger beer plant. I still have his old recipe handwritten in a cook book.

And Mum recently told me about how she and he (long since departed) once brewed beer from scratch in the early 60's just for the hell of it, although neither of them drank.

Cheers,
Jake

Only my pop was a home brewer. Dad isn't, so I guess second gen with a generation skipped.

My pop was a kit brewer but I finished his last batch off for him when he passed and he was up to batch 743 or something like that, so he must have put a few down haha.

Worst part is when I make something good I always wanna give him some but can't now.

Only my pop was a home brewer. Dad isn't, so I guess second gen with a generation skipped.

My pop was a kit brewer but I finished his last batch off for him when he passed and he was up to batch 743 or something like that, so he must have put a few down haha.

Worst part is when I make something good I always wanna give him some but can't now.

How was his beer??? I hope you saved a bottle! What a wonderful way to cheers your pop!

Back