How Many Brews Do You Get From One Bottle Of Gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm reading my electricity bill correctly, I pay about 13 cents per kWh.

So, 2.4kW x 4 hours x 13c = $1.25.

Can that be right? If so, it seems much cheaper than gas.

I'd argue that electric HLTs/kettles are cheaper to run than gas (considering the cost of each). Being billed quarterly for electricity (especially when you're running home heating etc off it) makes it feel more expensive I guess. Gas bottles are generally in the mid-20s to fill, but can be $10 higher if you don't/can't shop around...

:eek:

How big is your gas cylinder?

I get about 3.5 90 min boils from a 9kg cylinder if I'm lucky.

Fortunately the gas fitter is coming around to install a natural gas outlet for my BBQ and burner on friday.

Had them leave a few metres of pipe under the verandah when we had all the pipes replaced a few years back.

BB

Its a 9kg bottle. I think its just the burner itself that is pretty efficient. Here's a couple of pics...

DSC01387.JPG DSC01390.JPG

I like the twin 2400w immersion path. They cost $0.65 cents per hour to run the pair of them, and my boil off rate is always dead on. I can predict with certainty what the gravity will be after the boil.

My pros'n'cons list....

Pros - QUIET, cheap to run, predictable, doesn't run out of gas, fast.

Cons - have to spend ~$140 to get two elements, need a couple of power circuits in your house and make sure no one switches on something else in the house that chews big current!

Err, that deviated heaps from the original topic eh.....and I aint been drinkin neither! :chug:

I get about 6/7 brews to a 9kg bottle - running a Nasa. Once the wort has reached the boil, it runs on a very low setting, even to maintain a vigorous boil over 90 mins...

8.5+ x 90 minute boils with the NASA here. Switch over to the Bar-b-que bottle to complete the 9th. As above, a gentle boil for the first 30 minutes then a good rolling boil (all with the lid off) for the final 60.

:beer:

That's a nasa isn't it?

Are you running it on a HP Reg?

Do you use it on your HLT too?

10-12 boils it excellent

Cheers

I think people refer to this unit as a NASA burner, and yes it is running on a HP reg.

I currently have an urn that I am using as a HLT. Been thinking of upgrading to a 50L keg with electric element & temp contolled (mashmaster unit maybe?).

And for Yardy, I don't have any oxegen starvation problems. Someone can state otherwise but I think the air intake is where the gas line hooks up to the unit (where the silver cap is).

Back