How Long Till I See Action

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Started my first brew today which is a Brewcraft pure blond kit. Question is , how long should it take before I see action in the airlock or at least some action on top of the brew. Using Safale US-05 yeast and pitched it at 22 deg where it has stayed. Been 5 hours now.

Started my first brew today which is a Brewcraft pure blond kit. Question is , how long should it take before I see action in the airlock or at least some action on top of the brew. Using Safale US-05 yeast and pitched it at 22 deg where it has stayed. Been 5 hours now.

Don't stress, it might take up to 48 hours, but you should see some krausen forming fairly soon. At that temp I'd say it will probably be bubbling away merrily by tomorrow morning.

Don't stress, it might take up to 48 hours, but you should see some krausen forming fairly soon. At that temp I'd say it will probably be bubbling away merrily by tomorrow morning.

Hey, thanks for that. It has been maybe 15 years since I last brewed a batch and they were only coopers kits with a kilo of sugar. Memory doesnt stretch back that far and I wasnt sure if the different yeasts would take differing times to fire up.
I'll open a frothy and stop worrying eh :beer:

Still no action in the airlock but the brew is bubbling nicely. Must have a leak somewhere.

Edit: Found a post about this and used Rodders suggestion on placing a brick(in my case half a paver) on the lid and the bubbling started

Still no action in the airlock but the brew is bubbling nicely. Must have a leak somewhere.

Edit: Found a post about this and used Rodders suggestion on placing a brick(in my case half a paver) on the lid and the bubbling started

May be something as sime as a misthread of the lid or a dicky O ring in the lid. I have a secondary fermenter,find it never bubbles from the airlock, thaught is its leaking somewhere but there would be enough positive pressure to keep the nasites out!

May be something as sime as a misthread of the lid or a dicky O ring in the lid. I have a secondary fermenter,find it never bubbles from the airlock, thaught is its leaking somewhere but there would be enough positive pressure to keep the nasites out!

Yeah, I used to brew with just glad wrap over the top held on with a big rubber band so I wasnt to concerned about it not bubbling, because of the posotive pressure you mentioned. Just like to hear the burps, its sort of reasuring and I need that :icon_drunk:

Yeah im the same, end of the day its all the same. If your FG is steady, shes complete!

Hi,
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would post here.

It has now been over 72 hours and the airlock does not show any sign of activity. After 24 hours the fermenter did have some scum around the rim on the inside so I assume it is doing something.

Should I swirl the fermenter around every few days or is it best to leave it still?

Thanks

Hydrometer reading ?

As above... never go by airlock activity in terms of fermentation. Hydrometer... never (well... mabe a little) fails. The scum ring sounds like its doing something tho. She'll be right... just let it go. When i used to use a lid and airlock, i only ever had 2 batches bubble. Although its nice to hear and see the blooping... a nice bit of krausen always gets the blood and hormones pumping.

....i mean :unsure:

Sponge

Krausen - Noun - The foamy, rocky head of yeast that forms at the peak of fermentation.

follow the advice from above. Leave alone and dont stir while you see the "foam" or krausen. This means that the beer is working. The fact that there is no movement in your airlock simply means that the air is escaping somewhere else.

When this brew is done, pop down to your local homebrew store and grab a new seal for your fermenter as well as a "gromett" or small seal for your airlock.

or go the old faithful gladwrap

ive only been doing it for a month now, but im so much happier using it. less things to worry about and easier to see into

but as we say, each to their own. the bloop is a pretty sexy sound

Sponge

I haven't had any action via the airlock for the past few brews. Before this one I got a new O-ring, grommet and an airlock for good measure ( I just wanted one of the 'vintage' ones) but still no bubbling. No matter. A quick visual suggests there is activity. My brew fridge died mid way through ferment on the last brew so am relying on ice bottles to keep a constant temp in the now deceased fridge. So far, so good- 18 to 20.

I'm with sponge,gladwrap is my favourite bit of brew gear B)

Too see,is believe.So many new brewers get anxious about this airlock bubbling crap.Most kits dont seal up properly to begin with.So panic sets in,dumb things are done, ruining the first batch.

If new brewers were told to use gladwrap in the first place,much angst would be avoided.

You can see the condensation(well apart from sponge ;) ),and the co2 ballooning the gladwrap is obvious

Latest posts

Back