How Long Have You Been Brewing? And How Many Have Your Done?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed Kits since 1983 Good ol Champs I wonder if anyone remembers Champs. Went to a brewday with Ross (Craftbrewer) at his place in 2006. Came home tipped all my beer down the drive. Wife came home that night and said it stinks of beer outside I replied that I had tipped all my beer away she asked "are you giving up drinking". I replied that I was planning on thinking of brewing in a different way and went straight into A/G.
Cheers Altstart

Been back into it about 5 years, after a break from washing bottles and doing K & K. Went straight into wort packs and kegs, for a couple of years, then bit the bullet and went AG - BIAB. I try to have 2 - 3 cubes full at any one time so I probably knock one out about every 2 - 3 weeks. :beerbang:

Did some kits and partials back in the mid 90's and lost interest and gave away my gear. Did one kits & bits brew in August last year and then my first BIAB AG on October 2nd. Done 20 since then, which works out to 2.5 brews a month. Currently have 85 bottles on the shelves and 3 fermenters on the go now.

When you consider 20 20 litre brews works out to 506 bottles, I should have a lot more on the shelf than 85! The 2 hardest parts of homebrewing is drinking nothing but Coopers longnecks for 6 months to get the bottles and then learning to leave them alone for a couple of months before drinking!

Been brewing for about 4 hours
Have done about 5 Pints.

Started brewing in 2003, so getting close to a decade.

Like most, probably, i started with kits, and did this for a while, thinking i was making shit hot beer, and if you take those two words literally (shit, and hot) then i was definitely doing that. Fermenting coopers kits way too warm, but making beer that i could drink by adding some "packs" from the local HBS that had better sugars, hops and a better yeast.

Wanted something better.

Got into all grain maybe 3-4 years ago due to this forum and some other sources and haven't looked back.

Beer i'm making now is well received by the mates, but more importantly me. I'm making consistent better beer than you can get at most pubs and it's costing me **** all, and giving my 35yo brain something to think about.

Always learning, still doing dumb things everyonce in a while that i learn from and looking forward to constantly evolving my knowledge and skill set.

Got into all grain with a 2V, then because i wanted to brew double batches, expanded to a 3V (keg HLT and gas fired boiler, Esky mash tun) but recently experimenting with a recirculating single vessel electric BIAB rig.

Latest thing i'm doing is trying to develop yeast reculturing/propogation techniques. Finished my stir plate yesterday and currently got a sixer worth of CPA yeast spinning away.

Cheers,
Nath

Good to see you back around these parts Steve :)

I started in 2003 i think...... i started cause a carton of tooheys new went to $20

I did about 4 kits and wasn't impressed with the results so went chasing ways to make it better.

I tried the ESB "paint tin" kits and they were better cause they had little green floaties in them.

started doing partials and hopping beers myself..... a lot of trial and error brewing because as others have said...... there wasnt the wealth of knowledge on the net back then. After about a dozen brews i went full AG and the rest is history.

cheers

Edit: just to add..... i still use the esky i knocked up with some copper tube, SS mesh and cable ties for my first batch. It still has the original cable ties holding the cover over the pickup and has never failed me.

Strated out with K@K about 10years ago and finaly got the urge to get into AG about two and a half years ago now.Up to my 43rd AG and still going strong.Hope I don't die of liver cancer though :(

Been brewing since around 01? kegged after 6 months. Started playing with extras but wasn't til Big Brew Day 04 where i saw AG and went "aha! that's not too hard haha!". Im still a KISS brewer equipment wise, but lately have been playing with step mashing. Im constantly learning about brewing. I do around 20-30 batches a year.

Since 08. 2 years K&K unfortunately, 1 year 3V with an eski and 1 year Braumeister. I work 5 weeks on and 5 off so I'll brew about 4-5 doubles in my 50L BM every 5 weeks. It must be alright beer because it seems to get drank.

After noting Screwy's reluctance to give details of his brewing history probably because of his age? :lol: I would estimate ----
About 6 years of cans --- 4 years of Kits & (both dry & liquid malts) bits --- then after finding AHB, 6 or 7 years of all-grain.
Agree with other posts that the internet plus advances in homebrewing techniques have turned what we do on its head.
Wish I was (40 years) younger but then don't we all? :p

TP

7 years (1 year 11brews kit/extract) unhappy with outcome so went all grain. (I have tasted some good kit brews; I just never made one)
90 brews (79AG)
458.45kg grain
81.58 avg brew house efficiency
$1620.71 cumulitive spend: all grain brew ingredients (79 batches) (no cleaning, bottle caps, equipment or utilities)
Average cost: Litre 94c, Pint 53c, 330ml Stubbie 31c,
Most expensive beer: Belgian Tripel 9.5ABV; $3.17 per Litre ($20 for a kilo of clear liquid belgian candi sugar)
Average ABV 5.77%
Average FG 1.019...hmmm I think I have a sweet tooth, or more acurately a poor ability to taste sweetness
1831.2 Litres AG produced to date

Been interested in brewing and chatting on forums about booze for the last 13 years.

Hopefully get to put my first rig together (almost got all the bits) and first batch down by the end of this year. <_<

4yrs AG here (with 10ish yrs partials before that).

Batch #86 American Amber into the NC cube this arvo.

4 years in total, last 3 have been ag.

Do about 12 batches of 18l per year.

7 years (1 year 11brews kit/extract) unhappy with outcome so went all grain. (I have tasted some good kit brews; I just never made one)
90 brews (79AG)
458.45kg grain
81.58 avg brew house efficiency
$1620.71 cumulitive spend: all grain brew ingredients (79 batches) (no cleaning, bottle caps, equipment or utilities)
Average cost: Litre 94c, Pint 53c, 330ml Stubbie 31c,
Most expensive beer: Belgian Tripel 9.5ABV; $3.17 per Litre ($20 for a kilo of clear liquid belgian candi sugar)
Average ABV 5.77%
Average FG 1.019...hmmm I think I have a sweet tooth, or more acurately a poor ability to taste sweetness
1831.2 Litres AG produced to date

You just gave me yet another reason to have detailed and accurate record keeping. Can't wait until I get to the day that I can spit out impressive figures like that!

I guess that was 4 years ago, and like I said I just wanted an update on all these new faces :)

Bloody swag of em too Steve, you're membership No. 374 and 'Old' Pete is 531 I was a latecomer No.1466

Some 19,00 newbies since then!!!!!

Screwy

Latest posts

Back