How Does This Sound

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonwantsbeer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

2nd brew about to go live. making about 20-23litres:

1.8lg Muntons Connoisseurs traditional bitter with safale s-04
Fuggles hops
1.5 morgans master malt extract

Should put in a kg of dextrose as well?

Fingers crossed ive got high hopes for this one! :)

Hey mate just a couple questions...

What style are you after? Guessing an ordinary English Bitter

Morgans master malt extract, is that dry or liquid form? and is it just a light malt extract?

How many grams ov fuggles have you got and how much aroma/flavour are you after?

I wouldnt but a whole kg of dextrose in but i'll let you know how i rekon if u can answer those above questions

cheers drew

The Morgans master malt will be a liquid one but which one do you have, it will say something more like pale, caramalt etc...?

Some one here posted this link, check it-
http://www.homebrew.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPag...p;idDetails=172
It's running your numbers with out the dex as 5.5% which is a good strength for me, adding the dex and you have 8%. Adding dex dosen't add any flavour just extra booze. Personally I would save the dex for something else. I can't speak about your brew because I haven't used Muntons. Good luck.

Leave the dextrose out, the 1.5kg tin of master blend will be enough extra fermentables, but yeah, which tin is it? If it's just the plain pale malt, goooo for it. What temp do you plan on fermenting at?

Edit: Actually, if you really want to go to stlye, save the master tin for another brew and just use 500g LDME, after all, a Bitter isn't a strong (Alc%) beer.

Try adding 200g Dextrose and making the beer @ 23L, and steep around 15 - 30g of fuggles hops for some aroma if thats all your after, your beer should be around 4.5% then

I find the Morgans malt to have a kind of burnt flavour that is quite off putting. Would use coopers malt.

Its the morgans lager pale malt extract in a can.

Got 12g of Fuggles and I'm going for a classic english bitter.. wouldnt mind it being on the stronger side say 5% as my last lawnmower lager kit i doubt was touching 4%

will the malt extract provide extra flavour or should i leave it out and use the DME that i got from BigW or/including some dextrose?

i want a good replica of a london bitter say bombadier (5.2%) or london pride (4.7%)

i want a good replica of a london bitter say bombadier (5.2%) or london pride (4.7%)

There's nothing wrong with ambition ;)
London Pride has challenger, target and nothdown hops in it, I'm not sure what's in your kit but I don't think it with fuggles is going to get you in the right direction. Not sure about Bombadier.

I would use the kit, the morgans malt extract (I've never found it to be burnt tasting, could have been a particular batch for roverfj) and steep the hops in a cup of hot water and chuck it all in for some extra aroma. For a 2nd brew it will be head and shoulders over K+K and you will learn from it also, as with every subsequent brew.

There's nothing wrong with ambition ;)
London Pride has challenger, target and nothdown hops in it, I'm not sure what's in your kit but I don't think it with fuggles is going to get you in the right direction. Not sure about Bombadier.

I would use the kit, the morgans malt extract (I've never found it to be burnt tasting, could have been a particular batch for roverfj) and steep the hops in a cup of hot water and chuck it all in for some extra aroma. For a 2nd brew it will be head and shoulders over K+K and you will learn from it also, as with every subsequent brew.

And once you get a hang on hop tea bags (and how hops affect the brew) plus some additional research, you can progress from the hop teabags (not as fresh, and more expensive per gram) to buying hop pellets (which are fresher, cheaper per gram and you get a wider variety of hops to choose from).

I wish AHB had been around when I started all those years ago. I'd have known my fuggles from my EKG and why the tin yeast isn't crash hot a lot sooner than I did.

Gotta love the internerds.

Goomba

My 2c

The kit
500g DME
Your Fuggles hops (personally I don't go much on Fuggles but that's what you have & you may like it)
S-04

Cut open the hop bag and throw them in the fermenter about 4 days before you bottle/keg.
Preferably I'd use the hops Earl suggested and even steep a bit of grain if your up to it, about 200g should be fine of say, Cara Aroma or Dark Crystal. But obviously you'd have to go and get more stuff then so...... What you have will work fine though

Latest posts

Back