How Do You Carbonate Your Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read this thread to the end and surprised nobody uses the method that I use! I rack to the keg, burp it, stick it in the fridge and set the reg to 270kpa. 48hrs later with no shaking shes ready to go.

Anyone else do this?

Jeremy.

yep thats what i do

50 liter keg. Filter into it, seal it up hot and put it in the fridge. Set reg to 250lpa and leave for 3 days.

back off to 75kpa pouring pressure and off you go.

cheers

Ross method. I just hook up the gas to the gas post and put the keg on its side with the gas at the lowest point and shake away.

Whats the Ross method? Maybe he should give due credit to whoever put him onto it ;) . If I recall, its actually called "force carbonation".

cheers

Darren

isnt forced carbonation just carbonating with the use of gas rather than the use of priming sugar+yeast doing its thing(natural carbonation)?

Of course its just force carbonation, but as Oldbugman said, force carbonation is simply using gas under pressure to carbonate the beer instead of priming the beer with sugar etc.
"The Ross Method" is just a name used on here to describe a fast method of force carb'ing. I'm sure it wasn't invented by Ross (its kind of like trying to pinpoint who invented socks or something), but until someone comes up with a better name than that, the Ross Method it is!

EDIT: The Ross Method is in the Wiki or in an airlocked thread somewhere around here... A search will find it in a jiffy if anyone cares :)

Mmmmmm, the old hook her up and leave it seems to be popular.

I have only done it once, took a little longer to reach the carb level I like, which may be over carbed to some but suits me.

now I have a few "IN THE BANK", so to speak, I will use the" hook her up method", now on to be known as the HHUM.

As for the 50 for the Beach in December Cloudy, I spoke to Mark at Marks Home Brew yesterday, he said to brew as normal, rack into keg, throw on 400-450G of Dex, and leave for 2 weeks at brewing temp, then chill for a few days before we go, easy.

I am putting down a 50 lt brew of Morgans Stockman Drought, with 3 Kg of Malt +, two plugs of hops, one Steeped, the other dry hopped,
that and a 20lt of Bourbon and Coke and a 20lt of Rum and coke will be my Donation to the end of year Bash.

Whats the Ross method? Maybe he should give due credit to whoever put him onto it ;) . If I recall, its actually called "force carbonation".

cheers

Darren

:eek: you question...... :p

I heard ross invented socks too :lol:

hey Eugene..... i have a chart for bulk priming that i and many others have used for years

It works a treat. Much research, under and over carbed beers and plotting charts went into creating this and it gives me spot on carb levels every time.

after my first 12 months of home brewing i got sick of havinghalf flat beers or gushers with the ocasional good one.

I was putting a tspoon of dex in each bottle and it just didnt work. All my beers were different gravities using different yeasts. when i started to bulk prime i figured that there had to be a way to calculate the amount of sugar needed. Im like that. My kids tell me im like bob the builder. can we fix it.......

I took all the variables into acount and made a formula to calculate it. i made the chart from that it was spot on.

I have how i worked it out written down somewhere if anyones interested. I have a beer to rack so not going into it just now.

cheers

View attachment PRIMING_CHART.xls

Mmmmmm, the old hook her up and leave it seems to be popular.

I have only done it once, took a little longer to reach the carb level I like, which may be over carbed to some but suits me.

now I have a few "IN THE BANK", so to speak, I will use the" hook her up method", now on to be known as the HHUM.

As for the 50 for the Beach in December Cloudy, I spoke to Mark at Marks Home Brew yesterday, he said to brew as normal, rack into keg, throw on 400-450G of Dex, and leave for 2 weeks at brewing temp, then chill for a few days before we go, easy.

I am putting down a 50 lt brew of Morgans Stockman Drought, with 3 Kg of Malt +, two plugs of hops, one Steeped, the other dry hopped,
that and a 20lt of Bourbon and Coke and a 20lt of Rum and coke will be my Donation to the end of year Bash.
nice work Eugene, i'm sure there will be no arguments with the bourbon and rum on tap.

:beer:

Hi all,

No matter how many people i ask, they all have there own procedures for carbonating a keg. some things seem to work for some and not for others. So i'm just wondering how do YOU carbonate YOUR keg? :D

Very interested to see how many different ways you guys come up with even if the differences are only slight.

hope to hear from you.

:beer:

Cloudy.

hook it up at 120 for 2 days

The "Ross Method"
Give me a break.No offence to Ross but im sick and tired of hearing this method attributed to Ross as if he invented it or something.As mentioned before its called forced carbonation.Its old school stuff.
As old as keg shakers.
Next thing i hear will be that Ross invented homebrewing,mail order,vac pacs,and post pacs to get you ya stuff. ;)

Cheers
Big D

BABBs got a tour of Burleigh Brewing Company yesterday and Brennan mentioned that they bung their fermenters 1 plato before final gravity to naturally carbonate. He said this doesnt effect the attenuation or the final product and it is then left to age before filtering.

Have any of you conical guys tried this? Im going to give it a go with my next hefe as I think it will help to mimic bottle conditioned hefes. But with no conical I will transfer from the fermenter to the keg before reaching FG.

The "Ross Method"
Give me a break.No offence to Ross but im sick and tired of hearing this method attributed to Ross as if he invented it or something.As mentioned before its called forced carbonation.Its old school stuff.
As old as keg shakers.
Next thing i hear will be that Ross invented homebrewing,mail order,vac pacs,and post pacs to get you ya stuff. ;)

Cheers
Big D

True...

It is not the "Ross" method, but rather the method that Ross uses.....

There is a difference... B)

A question for the blokes who rack directly to the keg. If u do this would'nt u end up with a lot of yeast on the bottom of the keg and therefor in your glass?
I would imagine that the beer would need to be down to the FG or u would need to keep burping the keg?
It sounds like the way to go, to avoid the extra transfer to the conditioning cube or fermenter by just racking to the keg.

Steve

Steve, I usually filter to the keg but if Im not I will leave it to 'secondary' in the primary for a few days (generally the length of primary fermentation). Then cold condition for as long as you can to help drop out yeast, usually a week for me.

You can also fine in the keg and Ive found gelatine to work well.

the yeast settles on the bottom of the keg and you get some yeast in the 1st glass and the last one, the beers in the middle are all good.

the yeast settles on the bottom of the keg and you get some yeast in the 1st glass and the last one, the beers in the middle are all good.

Thats what I hate, it means the second last glass is the best beer from the keg and the one you should savor... but you get no warning that it is the second last :(

it's a shock to us all Jye. the 2nd to last glass is usually the best damn beer of the keg as well.

Sounds like you need a filter!

What serving pressure do u guys use. There are stories on here from 20 kpa to 100 kpa.
I dont want to start a "tap war" but if using certain tap that is regulated, the serve pressure would be less critical.
So what is the general consensus?

What serving pressure do u guys use. There are stories on here from 20 kpa to 100 kpa.
I dont want to start a "tap war" but if using certain tap that is regulated, the serve pressure would be less critical.
So what is the general consensus?

I use ProMash to work out the carbonation pressure (usually about 70-120 kPa), and hold it at that for serving. I then have a decent length of beer line loosely coiled (about 5m of 6mm ID line, from memory), to bring my serving pressure down to about 20-30 kPa (again, I'm working from memory).

I used to have a short beer line, but got glass after glass of froth at a gauge pressure of anything over about 40kPa. If I ever forgot to bring the pressure back up when it wasn't in use, I'd end up with a flat beer :(.

I think I used this page to do my balancing calculations.

I normally sit it at 30 psi for two days... but have had one of my kegs at 30 psi for 4 days now and the beer is still not carbonated ?? anybody else ever had this problem, it is as if the beer does not like CO2...

Back