How Do You Carbonate Your Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time was done with ross method with cold beer in keg but got overcarbonated, so used the excellent wiki xl file to set regulator to pouring pressure and then kept venting excess out of the keg till it came good.

This took me two days, so still a little quicker than leaving it for a week on pouring pressure, but my beer has a fair amount of sediment, and that has taken 3 days to clear nicely.

So if sediment is an issue for you, might be an idea to go the slow method and not disturb your beer, or if you are lucky enough to have a filter (on my wish list now) then forced is good but err on the side of not quite enough carbonation.

Crundle

btw, anyone got a link to an easy diy beer filter setup? been looking for links, but pretty busy with essays to write for uni, so not much time to look atm....

Not to many who naturally carb their kegs.

I do... usually with ~74 grams of sugar per keg.

Not to many who naturally carb their kegs.

I do... usually with ~74 grams of sugar per keg.

It's just great to be drinking a beer 2 weeks after making it
1 week primary
1 week secondary
rack to keg - force carb - wait 10 mins - and drink!

I've been tempted to naturally carb - but I don't have the patience to wait for the beer to clear up again
Cheers

It's just great to be drinking a beer 2 weeks after making it
1 week primary
1 week secondary
rack to keg - force carb - wait 10 mins - and drink!

I've been tempted to naturally carb - but I don't have the patience to wait for the beer to clear up again
Cheers

That's the advantage of having 11 kegs. Plenty of time for them to carb and clear :)

Cheers

I also hook up the beer out post to the co2 and set the pressure to 120kpa.
I then rock the keg until it stops taking anymore gas. This usually takes about 5 min.
Leave for a few hours, let off the pressure from the head, reconnect the gas at pouring pressure and off you go.
Works a treat for me everytime.
Of course you need to chill your keg first before you attempt this procedure

i've been using unfermented wort to carbonate my weizens in the keg
works well!

A reduced Ross method for a bit more of a safety margin from overcarbing then just leave at my 100kPa serving pressure for a few more days to finish the job. :)
I lack the patience in waiting for a week before having a crack at a fresh keg :D .
Cheers
Doug

Thanks for all of your replies, i'm not to far off setting up my first 50L keg.

let you know how i go.

cheers,

Cloudy.

Another variation:
23l squat kegs, filled from "clearing cube" (in fridge 2 days min), purge headspace 3x, crank up to 250kpa, lay on side so gas inlet is submerged.
When bubbling stops, rock 30-50x, repeat until 3 minutes have elapsed.
Disconnect gas.
When ready to serve, release gas, re-pressurise & pour.
Can drink within 1/2 hour, but works best if left in the fridge overnight at serving pressure.
Works well with my setup - good luck with yours & welcome to kegging.
Cheers,
Mark

Another variation:
23l squat kegs, filled from "clearing cube" (in fridge 2 days min), purge headspace 3x, crank up to 250kpa, lay on side so gas inlet is submerged.
When bubbling stops, rock 30-50x, repeat until 3 minutes have elapsed.
Disconnect gas.
When ready to serve, release gas, re-pressurise & pour.
Can drink within 1/2 hour, but works best if left in the fridge overnight at serving pressure.
Works well with my setup - good luck with yours & welcome to kegging.
Cheers,
Mark
Thanks Mark :beer:

Just read this thread to the end and surprised nobody uses the method that I use! I rack to the keg, burp it, stick it in the fridge and set the reg to 270kpa. 48hrs later with no shaking shes ready to go.

Anyone else do this?

Jeremy.

Just read this thread to the end and surprised nobody uses the method that I use! I rack to the keg, burp it, stick it in the fridge and set the reg to 270kpa. 48hrs later with no shaking shes ready to go.

Anyone else do this?

Jeremy.
hey Jeremy,

forgive me i'm new to kegging. a couple of people have mentioned burping, what is that. do you just put some pressure up it's backside and chuck it in the fridge? :huh:

:beer:

Cloudy.

Anyone else do this?

Jeremy.

this is how i pressurise my kegs,but i set my reg to 300kpa. much the same technique. burp keg for 5 secs they bump to 300kpa,chill for 24-72 hrs then vent gas to 100 kpa-my pouring pressure

cheers,dan

I use the Ross method, generally for about 50 seconds. Drinking it about 40 seconds later...

6 days from Grain to Brain is my best effort....although it was pretty green! A wheatie, of course.

I rack to keg, shake, burp and set at 350Kpa for 24Hrs.
Then just back it off to serving presure. Works for me.

Dave

i have 2 taps and 4 kegs and each keg usually hits the tap at aroud 3 weeeks, so its aged fairlywell. Alltho im still learnin :D

edit:dont remember posting this post.Doppelbock knocked me for a 6 last night. Back on topic anyway i just hook em up at 120kpa by the time a keg runs out the next one is carbed up to 120kpa and poured at the same pressure. Simple really

Chill-Filter-300kpa pressure-Shake the shit out of it for 45-50 secs- DRINK.
Usually 1 week after brew day (when fermentation ceases of course).
Yes, I hate waiting.
Got 6 kegs (always in use) so by the time I get down to the bottom of a keg It's aged nicely and mellowed out a bit. However, for the record IMO your beer does not change that much from 1 week to 6 months. I think it's perfectly drinkable as soon as fermentation has ceases and is chilled and carbonated. Especially if you filter. It just seems to smooth out a bit with time.
My 2c worth
Cheers

Ross method. I just hook up the gas to the gas post and put the keg on its side with the gas at the lowest point and shake away.

Latest posts

Back