How Can We Make Belgian Candy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made some dark candy sugar last night. I used 2.5kg of white sugar, citric acid and some DAP (yeast nutrient). I read somewhere that DAP is added for nitrogen which reduces the temperature for the maillard reaction to start. This should mean you have more leniency in terms of darkening it without risking getting too close to burning it.

I started with nearly no water until the sugar was partially melted then I added boiled water. in the past I've added too much water at the start and it took ages to boil it off.

I did half quite dark, and half between amber and dark

We need a chemist to chime in, but I have a feeling that using DAP actually allows mailard reactions, not just caramelisation.

Ok so have read these threads and thier links and keen to have a go at making me some candy (esp since in order to get some here it would cost me nearly 20bucks for 500g) the various reports are about wether to make it to syrup or take it to crystal. will crystal dissolve in fermenter in a late add or will it need to be dissolved then added to wort or fermenter?

I've done both but always end up melting and/or dissolving the crystal when I use it as I want to make sure it dissolves.

Latest posts

Back