Hot Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchy

Reaction score
Hi guys a question, I plan on doing No chill method into my fermentor, just wondering is it safe to put boiling liquid into the fermentor.Will the wort melt the plastic or it's ok to do so?I am planning on doing my second AG a indian pale ale, after second fermentation has finished I can bottle or is there anything else I should consider.

Thanks Andrew

Mate I put mine into the fermenter straight from the kettle never had a problem yet. Just watch the tap though if you try to take a hydro reading, they can over turn and start to leak. But if you laeve the tap it will be fine.
Oh yeah dont do it on the lino in the kitchen leaves a nasty ring :ph34r:

Cheers Brad

If you have a normal coopers or homebrew shop fermentor - its not going to melt when you put the hot wort into it. If yo have a better bottle or something thats not made out of HDPE plastic, then I'm not so sure.

quite a few people no-chill in their fermentor - I personally don't think that its the best way to do it and suggest you get yourself a proper NC cube, but that doesn't mean it wonk work out just fine in your fermentor, it will.

Whether you bother with a secondary fermentor or not is up to you, it isn't strictly necessary, but it isn't going to hurt either - and after that you can bottle. If you are going to do any finings etc, you would do that in the secondary.

TB

edit - just remember that that fermentor is going to be a bit "squishy" from all the heat. I would be careful if you are planning on moving it while its still hot. And the tap will get knocked out a lot easier than it normally would so be careful.

I have only no-chilled once, but I just left the wort in the kettle overnight. Put the lid on and ran a strip of duct tape around the join to seal it. Next day I transferred it into the fermenter and it all came out fine. If you'll be pitching the yeast the next day there's no reason you can't do this if you are concerned. But I've had my Coopers style fermenter full of almost boiling water and while it did get a bit soft it held it's shape and definitely didn't melt.

I have only no-chilled once, but I just left the wort in the kettle overnight. Put the lid on and ran a strip of duct tape around the join to seal it. Next day I transferred it into the fermenter and it all came out fine. If you'll be pitching the yeast the next day there's no reason you can't do this if you are concerned. But I've had my Coopers style fermenter full of almost boiling water and while it did get a bit soft it held it's shape and definitely didn't melt.

Hmmm... interesting. Does this imply that you've sanitised the lid of your kettle? Is there any risk of HSA (for those concerned about it) with the headspace in the kettle? Just asking.

Hmmm... interesting. Does this imply that you've sanitised the lid of your kettle? Is there any risk of HSA (for those concerned about it) with the headspace in the kettle? Just asking.

You could always give it a quick squirt of no-rinse sanitiser. It gets pretty sanitised by the hot steam if you have it partially covering the kettle for a few minutes during the boil. As for head space, it's the same issue if you transfer it to the fermenter anyway.

You could always give it a quick squirt of no-rinse sanitiser. It gets pretty sanitised by the hot steam if you have it partially covering the kettle for a few minutes during the boil. As for head space, it's the same issue if you transfer it to the fermenter anyway.

I figured you'd also have the headspace issue with a transfer to a fermenter, but I wasn't sure how much of a problem that would be. Yup - a quick spray with no-rinse and you're good to go - I just didn't want to assume you had.

I'll still see if I can get my hands on a NC cube, but if I can't - Cheers; I won't worry too much.

Back