Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
I am still new on the scene when it comes to hops. Does anyone have a suggestion to which hop would be the best for all round use? Is this a silly question? I tend to lean towards aromatic type beers with a little bitterness. The reason I am asking this question is that I have friends over in the states on holidays and the cost of hops their is considerably cheaper than here. (The freight is the killer) They are willing to bring me some back albeit only a kilo.

I am still new on the scene when it comes to hops. Does anyone have a suggestion to which hop would be the best for all round use? Is this a silly question? I tend to lean towards aromatic type beers with a little bitterness. The reason I am asking this question is that I have friends over in the states on holidays and the cost of hops their is considerably cheaper than here. (The freight is the killer) They are willing to bring me some back albeit only a kilo.

The short answer is no, there isn't really such a hop in my book. However many brewers might see it differently.

Many will have their favourite that they use time and time again. If you like aromatic beers, and it is US hops you are going to get then you should go for something like Chinook, Columbus, Willamette, any of the classic American Pale Ale hops.

You might want them to be certain about whether they can easily bring the hops back through our customs though.

Perhaps Ross of CraftBrewer, who you'll find around the site somewhere, could enlighten you more about hops and customs...

You can bring hops into Australia, but only pellet hops. Make sure your friends get those rather than flowers or plugs. I'd say get an American hop you can't get here. My vote goes to Columbus (also known as Tomahawk). More info on hops here.

The short answer is no, there isn't really such a hop in my book. However many brewers might see it differently.

Many will have their favourite that they use time and time again. If you like aromatic beers, and it is US hops you are going to get then you should go for something like Chinook, Columbus, Willamette, any of the classic American Pale Ale hops.

You might want them to be certain about whether they can easily bring the hops back through our customs though.

Perhaps Ross of CraftBrewer, who you'll find around the site somewhere, could enlighten you more about hops and customs...

I have spoken with customs and it is ok as you said to bring pellets in. I like my English style beers so I am leaning towards and English hop.

hi BYB,
have you tried NORTHERN BREWER hops. these are available in most aussie brew shops and are worth a try.

cheers albrews

for an all round english hop, i love EKG, but that won't help unless your friends go via the UK.
all round German hop - hallertau
all round aussie hop - POR

you can make a perfectly good beer with one malt and one hop.

My favourite neutral'ish hop is Northern Brewer but I believe there are questions over this season's crop. For example the Alpha acid's I've seen are well down this season - 6% compared with 10% normally.

If you like British beers and want an American hop I'll give you 3 choices... Willamette or Willamette or Willamette.
A lot of English breweries are using Willamette instead of Fuggles.
Great hop.

FWIW I used some Fuggles pellets in my latest beer. Surprisingly the AAUs were 7.2%!! Highest I've seen Fuggles is around 4% AAU. :eek:

Warren -

FWIW I used some Fuggles pellets in my latest beer. Surprisingly the AAUs were 7.2%!! Highest I've seen Fuggles is around 4% AAU. :eek:

Warren -

They tend to vary a bit. I've used them from 3.8% into the mid-5's.
7.2%? It's a Fuggles Triffid. GMO no doubt :D
Serve the beer to guests first and see if they glow before you drink too much :D

Edit: The issue with Willamette over Fuggles with the English breweries is one of consistency from what I understand. Alpha ranges from 3.8 to 7.2 tend to underline that.

Plus Willamette has a far nicer aroma. In fact the twain don't even meet IMO. Not sure why people even bother to compare 'em in the same light. :unsure:

Warren -

Plus Willamette has a far nicer aroma. In fact the twain don't even meet IMO. Not sure why people even bother to compare 'em in the same light. :unsure:

Warren -

Two choices then...
Willamette or Willamette
:lol:

for an all round english hop, i love EKG, but that won't help unless your friends go via the UK.
all round German hop - hallertau
all round aussie hop - POR

you can make a perfectly good beer with one malt and one hop.
I have just finished scanning www.hopsdirect.com and they have the hops you have just mentioned (EKG) I assume these are the same as you have mentioned even though the company is in the states.

Warren -

I'd be interested in their country of origin Warren, I've not seen any UK fuggles that high...

cheers Ross

If you are starting out then in my opinion you may be safe with East Kent Goldings

Pumpy :)

Back