Hops In Da Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icarussound

Reaction score
I made an Amber ale out of a Coopers IPA + extras yesterday! I added some whole cascade hops at the end of the boil - though it was not much of a boil actually, just pasteurizing the LME + diluting some DME with the IPA. anyhoo I cooled the wort and dumped it all in the fermenter and added water. In the fermenter now the hops is floating around on top. I suppose I should have strained the whole hops out right?

So now do I worry? Fish it out? or just let it be and bottle as normal after this batch goes through it's thing?

I worried too the first time I did it, the hops will drop out of suspension soon enough. At least I ended up with a clear beer in the end.

Just leave em' in there mate, they'll settle to bottom in time and. I've never used flowers, but the only concern I might have is that the flowers could block the tap, maybe someone else could confirm wether this is the case or not?

I've dry hopped with flowers and some sunk, some floated. the ones that floated were a pain in the arse, they didn't block the tap but did block the bottling tube. Had to remove and clear it out at least 5 times during bottling. Having said that, I would stuff about trying to fish them out if I did it again.

Should be fine, my pellets settled out OK.

Generally it shouldn't be too much of a trouble, but as mentioned above, flowers can be a bit of a pain in the ass and clog up the tap and bottling wand whilst bottling.
If you're really worried about it, you could always rack the brew off into another fermenter or bottling bucket before bottling.

Latest posts

Back