Hops, Chinook Or Goldings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
My 1st year hops have grown really well at mom's place.
However, due to a combination of a few factors, the exact identity of a couple of the plants was ... misplaced.
I know they are either Chinook or Goldings, and since they look slightly different, I'm hoping that other hop-growers could help me identify what they may be.

Plant 1:
These look much the same as the Mt Hood and Cluster.
Cones are small/medium sized and a bit plump-ish.
hops2a.jpg

hops2b.jpg

Plant 2:
These cones are longer, tapered, more compact and have a more defined cone-shape than the other hops.
hops1a.jpg

hops1b.jpg

So which of these are Chinook and which are Goldings?
All expert advice, opinions and help, is much appreciated.

My chinook looked just like your top pic.
The long cones would have to be your goldings

BLOODY NICE BUDS MATE tell ya mum she is a ledge I presume she looked after them

Nice crop there Wolfy, the top one are the Goldings and the 2nd ones are Chinook. The aroma would be the other way to tell, the grapefruit of the Chinook is very powerful and if you smell it first there's a fair chance you won't even detect anything with the Goldings afterwards :)

I grew both this year (along with Perle and Cascade), just kegged an APA with lots of Cascade and Chinook late in the boil. The flavour is certainly there but much more subdued than the proper US varieties. That's certainly not a bad thing of course, the beer is one of the best I've made!

Agree with mantis.
Having not grown goldings but growing cluster, chinook & columbus. I havent had any cones that look like the 2nd lot.
My money is in the 1st pics as your chinook.

Agree with mantis.
Having not grown goldings but growing cluster, chinook & columbus. I havent had any cones that look like the 2nd lot.
My money is in the 1st pics as your chinook.

Have to agree, first lot looks like Chinook.
Chinook tend to have the points at the ends of the flowers and the more 'openess' to each cone. The second pics are super compact cones.

+1 Top one looks like Chinook to me. I've never grown Goldings, but my Chinook have never been as long as the bottoms pics.

No point guessing. I'd say chuck one hop in a cup of boiling water and smell and taste it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, unfortunately it's probably just added to the confusion. :(

After smelling them till it feels like I'm getting high on hop aroma, I think #2 must be the Chinook.

Mt Hood and Nugget smell most like mown grass kindof, earthy/grassy.
#1 have slightly similar earth/grassy background but are also noticeably more spicy or herbal.
#2 on the other hand have a very different and far stronger (than all the others) smell - very pronounced evergreen or something similar.

Also using Daemon's test, after smelling #2 and going back to #1 the #1 are hardly noticeable at all.

So that would make #2 the Chinook and #1 the Goldings.

However, at the same time everyone here who's grown Chinook have never seen the longer/compact/waxy cones as per #2 above.
Not all the cones were like that, so maybe they just liked where they were grown or are mutants and I should give them a proprietary name. ;)

@rude, yep they were grown in mum's vegie-garden, and she kept them watered for me through summer, most did much better than i dreamed for 1st year plants.

@beersatan, I think a taste test will be next, a simple ale recipe, half with #1 as bittering/aroma and the other half with #2, ferment with something clean like US05 and see what hapens - can always give dad the beer ... "thanks for growing the hops, he's some beer made from them". ;)

2 looks like my chinook.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, unfortunately it's probably just added to the confusion. :(

After smelling them till it feels like I'm getting high on hop aroma, I think #2 must be the Chinook.

Mt Hood and Nugget smell most like mown grass kindof, earthy/grassy.
#1 have slightly similar earth/grassy background but are also noticeably more spicy or herbal.
#2 on the other hand have a very different and far stronger (than all the others) smell - very pronounced evergreen or something similar.

Also using Daemon's test, after smelling #2 and going back to #1 the #1 are hardly noticeable at all.

So that would make #2 the Chinook and #1 the Goldings.

However, at the same time everyone here who's grown Chinook have never seen the longer/compact/waxy cones as per #2 above.
Not all the cones were like that, so maybe they just liked where they were grown or are mutants and I should give them a proprietary name. ;)

@rude, yep they were grown in mum's vegie-garden, and she kept them watered for me through summer, most did much better than i dreamed for 1st year plants.

@beersatan, I think a taste test will be next, a simple ale recipe, half with #1 as bittering/aroma and the other half with #2, ferment with something clean like US05 and see what hapens - can always give dad the beer ... "thanks for growing the hops, he's some beer made from them". ;)

Two looks like Chinook. My goldings also developed flowers later then the chinook to if this helps.

I doubt it's any help...but the first looks like my Chinook.

My chinook also grew like crazy compared to my POR and Tettnang.

My chinook look like #1.

Get a cone, spread the flowers to reveal the yellow stuff (lupin?) .. shove it up your nostril and inhale deeply.

You should be getting some serious grapefruit/citrus aromas, otherwise it's goldings.

Back