Hops Are Flowering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
The Nugget hops I planted Aug 26 are about 3.5m, are starting to get little flowers one it. I though it would not flower until the end of the season (I think March). Or are flowers normal, but hop cones come later? :blink: :blink:

I'll try and get some pics later; when we find the cable :angry:

Hi Kev

most likely got something to do with being dug up in temperate tassie and replanted in sub tropical queensland, messes with theyre internal clock.

Hi Kev

most likely got something to do with being dug up in temperate tassie and replanted in sub tropical queensland, messes with theyre internal clock.

Not to mention the earlier warm spells we are getting. Most plants that you wouldnt normally expect to be out have been greening up during August and September. I think the plants Australia wide are becoming very confused. :(

ATOMT

Thanks for the feedback, here's a pic of the plant. If I get hops from it now will the plant still dye of for the rest of the season, of can you get more than 1 batch in a season?

IMG00027.JPG

It should keep flowering for a period. New flowers will form at the base of each petiole (the stem that holds the leaf on to the plant)

Chatty

Oi Kev,

My Wurtemberger looks the same and it stopped growing about 3 weeks ago. Resigned to not worrying so will wait to see what happens this (1st) year.

Oi Kev,

My Wurtemberger looks the same and it stopped growing about 3 weeks ago. Resigned to not worrying so will wait to see what happens this (1st) year.

Screwtop,

Perhaps a feed of complete fertiliser will gee it up again? It's the time of the year to do this. Do you have a free-draining soil with no clay?

:beer:

my halleteaur (check spelling) has turned into a bloody ground cover,it is no more than 50mm high, it has to be an irish variant as it is going sideways not up. :angry: ..cheers...spog..

Mine is still growing (about 3600cms) maybe not as fast as last week, but still over a foot in 4 days. I may try the fertiliser idea se if it helps extend the season a bit.

Mine (2 new ones planted 4 weeks ago) has just broken the surface!!!!!!

Phew! I was beginning to worry, with everyone posting pics of their huge plants. I subscribe to the 'size doesn't matter, its what you brew with it" school ;) .

I hit it with some seasol and kept the water up this week and that has got it moving. I love that stuff, like most things gardening, smells like crap = grows like mad.

Just as an aside, I was recently wandering around the grounds of the very swish Fairmont Hotel in Banff. Low and behold I came across a fine planting of hops that was being used as a ground cover in full view. According to the gardener, the area where it was planted has a hot air extract fan blowing on the area and it's the only thing they could get to grow there. Yeah right, somehow I think there was an enterprisimg home brewer on staff.

Latest posts

Back