Hopped Extract In Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on doing my first partial and as others have read as much as I can.

Chasing some clarification on if to use/how to use a hopped tin (Coopers Pale Ale) instead of LME.

Brewshop recommended to put it in at the start of the boil but I have read that this darkens the beer and kills any flavour. Others say mix it with 2l of the Wort at the end of the boil and add back.

Ingredients of the partial are (as recommended by TWOC in perth)

Pale 2kg
Crystal 0.5kg
30g of Cascade in last 5 min of boil.

Coopers Pale Ale extract

Yeast - American Pale Ale 2

Also regarding sparge water, I have decided to use 3l per kg in the mash, how much would you recommend for sparge.

Appreciate any advice

Cheers

Craig

If I was doing this brew I would boil up 7 litres of water in a stainless steel stock pot. In that I would add 1.5kg of light dme (instead of the 2 kg pale malt) then add your crystal malt (coarsely milled) in a bag. Crystal malt has already been through the conversion process therefore it can be put directy in the kettle or pot and extract the fermentable sugars and flavor. I would boil that for 5 minutes then add cascade hops boil for another 5 minutes remove from heat and add the Coopers tin. Then into the fermenter, top up with water and add yeast at desired temperature.
If you are going to do a conversion for 2 kg of pale malt you may aswell do an all grain brew. Use your tins and extracts for the sugars and grain for added flavor in the kettle.

Good Luck.

I'm in the same position - there was a Coopers Real Ale kit on special at Woolies today ($8), so I bought one on the premise of using it in my Amber Ale Partial, instead of unhopped LME.

Was intending on cutting back on the 60min Amarillo addition, to keep some of the bitterness out, and adding the goop straight into the fermentor at ferment time.

Can't see how it would make a massive difference?

Cheers- MIke

Mash,sparge and boil the wort for an hour with your 5 min b4 end cascade addition.Take off heat and add can of PA goop,crash cool,put in barrel and top up to desired level and pitch.
That kit is only 19 or so IBU"S so it may be worth doing a hop addition at the beginning of the boil to get a few more IBU's( say another 10) as well as your late addition.

Mash,sparge and boil the wort for an hour with your 5 min b4 end cascade addition.Take off heat and add can of PA goop,crash cool,put in barrel and top up to desired level and pitch.
That kit is only 19 or so IBU"S so it may be worth doing a hop addition at the beginning of the boil to get a few more IBU's( say another 10) as well as your late addition.

Exactly right. I do lots of brews like this.

The fresh clear dry flavours of grain brewing without the hassle of calculating bitterness or chilling 30 litres of boiling wort.

Good easy beer.

Thanks for that, I will add it at the end of the boil.

I don't understand the IBU's yet. I have cascade with 5.9% on the packet, so how much would I put in at the start of the boil to get the desired 10 IBU's?

Also any suggestion on the amount of sparge water? I am using an insulated bucket with a false bottom if that makes a diff.

Cheers

Craig

To work out the appropriate IBU's for an all grain beer, you can use software such as the online beer recipator program, promash or beersmith, etc etc...
The level of IBU's depends primary on the gravity of the wort during the boil, the Alpha Acid percentage rating of the hops, how long the hops are boiled for and the amount added. Glen Tinseth has a handy calculator here... but you need to convert metric to imperial. For more info on International Bittering Units (IBU) you might want to read the relevant section in John Palmer's book on brewing - click here for the Chapter on Hop Bittering...
For a partial, you should be doing a 60 minute boil - not unlike the allgrain brewers do.
As a very general rule - The hops added at the start of the boil will contribute to overall bittering, hops added at around the 20 to 30 minute mark will add flavour compounds and hops added in the last 5 or so minutes of the boil will contribute the aroma profile of the beer. You have Cascade hops which are excellent flavouring and aroma hops for a pale ale. I'm not all that keen on them as bittering hops but I suppose you could use them at the start of the boil if you have nothing else. I'd recommend you visit the brew shop and grab some bittering hops such as Northern Brewer / Nugget / Perle etc and use these hops to bitter at the start of the boil and then add some Cascades at the 20 minute and 2 minutes remaining mark of the boil for some flavouring and aroma additions, respectively. Without knowing your exact preboil gravity and volume, it's hard to say exactly how much hops to add, but you might want to start with the following hop bill and adjust to suit your tastes for future brews:

Start of boil - add 16g of Northern Brewer (assuming it's around 7% A/A)
20 mins to go - add 16g of Cascade, and
2 mins to go - add 12g of Cascade.
**Note - this is assuming that the boil is a concentrated boil and not an all grain boil and I haven't got access to Promash at this time, so don't flame me, I'm making a semi-educated wild assed guess!!

In the case of a partial, adding hops without prior experience can get a bit tricky, especially when you're probably doing a concentrated boil - by that, I mean that the boil gravity will be much higher than the target gravity you hope to achieve at the start of fermentation and so the isomerisation extraction efficiency of the hops will be reduced by the higher gravity of the boil. Obviously I'm assuming that after the boil and chill, you add the wort to the fermenter and then fill with fresh water to achieve the desired target gravity and/or volume.

If you use a kit, you only add it to the boil if you want to remove the flavouring and aroma properties of the kit. So, normally you'd add the kit at flameout, stir though gently and then start the chill - this way you preserve most of the flavour and aroma properties of the kit. Adding a cooled kit will also help drop the temp of the boiled wort too. One other point - adding a kit at the end of the boil will logically help hop extraction efficiency because the wort's gravity would have been much higher if you'd added the kit at the start of the boil, so it helps you get more out of your hop additions by holding back on tossing in the kit...

Also remember that you are now in the post-boil world and the wort is vulnerable to infection from now on so make sure that you don't use some filthy spoon to scrape the kit contents into the wort. Use the relatively safe stirrer you used when you boiled and stirred the wort to stop if from burning the bottom of the kettle...

BTW, if you plan on using yeast other than the generic yeast that came with the Coopers kit, then empty the sachet of Coopers kit yeast into the boil in the last 10 mins to add some cheap yeast nutrient to the wort - yes, it's killing the yeast, but the cells are a source of proteins and amino acids for the fermenting yeasts to feed off! It's a dog eat dog world in the fermenter, you know! :ph34r:
Cheers,
TL

Back